Need a translation please...

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
plum23
Textkit Neophyte

Need a translation please...

Post by plum23 »

Hi there, was hoping someone could help me with a translation for; "Family before all others"
Have found a few conflicting translations, wanted it as a tattoo so need it to be correct. Hope you can help.
Thanks.xx

vastor
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Need a translation please...

Post by vastor »

plum23 wrote:Hi there, was hoping someone could help me with a translation for; "Family before all others"
familia pro aliis

Though I'm not certain about the pronominal adjective alii, -ae, -a. You should wait for more responses before committing.

plum23
Textkit Neophyte

Post by plum23 »

Thank you, i will wait to see what else pops up. Some of the others i have found are:
1.) Familia ante ceteros.
2.) Pondus familia ante alter.
3.) Ante omnis mea familia.
And with no knowledge of Latin I'm totally lost :?

Twpsyn
Textkit Member

Post by Twpsyn »

1 and 3 both get the sense across. 2 is gibberish, and looks like it came from a machine translator. In regards to vastor's translation, I would suggest using ante instead of pro, which has more the meaning of literally 'in front of' or also 'on behalf of'. You could even interpret familia pro aliis as 'family in place of others', which isn't quite what you're looking for.

vastor
Textkit Neophyte

Post by vastor »

plum23 wrote:Thank you, i will wait to see what else pops up. Some of the others i have found are:
1.) Familia ante ceteros.
2.) Pondus familia ante alter.
3.) Ante omnis mea familia.
And with no knowledge of Latin I'm totally lost :?
I quite like no. 3 personally. *wishes he had thought of it :)

Literal translation of no. 3:
Before all persons, my family