I Really Liked This Video.

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Scribo
Global Moderator

I Really Liked This Video.

Post by Scribo »

Estoniacus Inoriginale
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Estoniacus Inoriginale »

I can't say anything bad about it. All is well, inlcuding the final m and the preceding vowel's nasalization! The final m is not actually an existetn audible consonant, which makes it similar to Prtuguese, muito bem! em is like Latin em in Brazilian Portuguese!
OINOM ANNOM STVDIAVEI DINGVAM LATINAM OREIGENEBOS VARIONS
HANCE SICNATOVRAM VIDETE ET REDITE

ITEM BOLVNTAS BIXET BERITAS BIVAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxc0qxl4 ... age&fmt=18

Alatius
Textkit Fan

Post by Alatius »

Thank you both. If I should redo it today, there are some small things I would do different however: the long /?/ should definitely be pronounced more closed; two short syllables in a row are sometimes pronounced a bit too hurriedly, messing up the rhythm slightly; the section where I keep the beet with my foot is embarassingly out of sync: since I only had one camera, that part is not done when I actually read the verse; instead I had to do it afterwards while listening to my recording, and then it was more difficult to keep the pace -- a sign of course that the rhythm wasn't as steady as I had planed: the purpose of the video is to demonstrate a rather mechanical way of reading, which, when mastered, can be made more varied, as the meaning of the poetry dictates.

Not that these things matter much, but they irk me somewhat now.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Minor errors in a great work.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

I love what you are doing, Alatius. In the last months I've been practising similarly with rhythm and the Aeneid because I'm writing a computer program on it. Your reading excels.

Recitatio tua, Alati, mihi valdè placuit. Mensibus proximis similiter me exercebam, quià de primo Aeneidis libro programma scribo. Admirabilè superest tua fabula.

Alatius
Textkit Fan

Post by Alatius »

There's a small book by Bennett, The Quantitative Reading of Latin Poetry, which contains some practical advice for speakers of English, as well as exercises. I have only looked it through briefly, but over all I think the presentation of the subject and the advice are sound.

Alatius
Textkit Fan

Post by Alatius »

I decided to retype Bennett's book (only the beginning so far); this enables me to add some of my personal reflections, as well as incorporate links to recordings of the examples and exercises. In this way it might be more easy to read along or repeat the individual verses. Please let me know what you think, and if I should continue with the rest of the book? :?

The text, with recordings, can be found here.

Alatius
Textkit Fan

Post by Alatius »

Do tell me more about that computer program you're working on, Adriane! What is it about? Verse parsing, speech synthesis...?

cdm2003
Textkit Fan

Post by cdm2003 »

Alatius wrote:...the purpose of the video is to demonstrate a rather mechanical way of reading, which, when mastered, can be made more varied, as the meaning of the poetry dictates.
Very good video...that's the way Lucus basically suggested I practice. I use a metronome when I first read new poetry out loud after I've marked all the scansion. Once I get the timing and quantification down thoroughly, I then move on to paying more attention to caesurae, hiatus, and the general feeling of the poetry. Finding pieces of poetry read aloud "mechanically" on the Internet is a great help!
Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

Alatius wrote:Please let me know what you think, and if I should continue with the rest of the book? :?
By all means, yes, continue! :D You have at least two things going for you: 1) You are very skilled at reading Latin poetry, and 2) your pronunciation is not anglicized. So, this is bound to be a very helpful source for students out there: it has been for me.

Vale!
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

Homer: Well it's always in the last place you look.