Textkit Logo

Usage of passive infinitive with direct objects.

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Usage of passive infinitive with direct objects.

Postby mikeartin » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:34 pm

There is a passage from Livy in Wheelock's Latin Reader (p. 177) with the clause "nec per occupatam armis Punicis Italiam facile erat aut nuntium aut litteras mitti". I can't figure out why mitti is used instead of mittere. The structure of the sentence seems to suggest the translation "and it was not easy to send either a messenger or a letter through Italy, occupied as it was by Punic arms". Is the passive infinitive used as a reflexive passive ("to send either a messenger or a letter for themselves")? That's the only explanation I can come up with.
mikeartin
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Usage of passive infinitive with direct objects.

Postby Lucus Eques » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:47 pm

mikeartin wrote:There is a passage from Livy in Wheelock's Latin Reader (p. 177) with the clause "nec per occupatam armis Punicis Italiam facile erat aut nuntium aut litteras mitti". I can't figure out why mitti is used instead of mittere. The structure of the sentence seems to suggest the translation "and it was not easy to send either a messenger or a letter through Italy, occupied as it was by Punic arms". Is the passive infinitive used as a reflexive passive ("to send either a messenger or a letter for themselves")? That's the only explanation I can come up with.

Great question. "Facile erat nuntium mittere" means "it was easy to send a messenger." "Facile erat nuntium mitti" means "it was easy for a messenger to be sent."
Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Re: Usage of passive infinitive with direct objects.

Postby mikeartin » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:02 pm

Great question. "Facile erat nuntium mittere" means "it was easy to send a messenger." "Facile erat nuntium mitti" means "it was easy for a messenger to be sent."

Thanks for clarifying. Is there a specific name for this use of the accusative that one could look up in a grammar? It doesn't seem to fit into any of the previous uses I've learned.
mikeartin
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Twpsyn » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:12 pm

It's the accusative as subject of an infinitive.
Twpsyn
Textkit Member

Return to Learning Latin