"Bats in the Attic"

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

"Bats in the Attic"

Post by Interaxus »

Anyone read this?

http://www.economist.com/world/internat ... d=11622394

Hmm... "In Britain ... a mere 241 entrants for Greek A-level ,,, in 2007."

Hmm... "in the United States ... the number of students enrolled in Greek [at universities] has been going up since the 1990s. In 2006 fully 22,849 took some Greek (32,191 studied Latin)."

Then the in-your-face close:

"The real threat is not modernity, but globalisation. Europe’s glorious past is one of many: when those seeking to understand China start studying Confucius’s “Analects? with the same attention that past generations have paid to Pericles, the intricacies of the aorist optative may finally lose their charms."

Discuss. :)

Cheers,
Int

jadebono
Textkit Neophyte

Re: "Bats in the Attic"

Post by jadebono »

Interaxus wrote:Anyone read this?

http://www.economist.com/world/internat ... d=11622394

Hmm... "In Britain ... a mere 241 entrants for Greek A-level ,,, in 2007."
Since I have been reading the Times of London and the Telegraph every day for over a decade, I'm tempted to say that it serves them right. Still, it's a heartbreaking end to a noble tradition. My tutor is a public school old boy with degrees from Oxford and the system he uses is absolutely amazing. What a pity!
the intricacies of the aorist optative may finally lose their charms."
Never! I'm currently reading Lysias' "On the Murder of Eratosthenes" and what I've learnt about the optative from that speech alone beats months of slogging through assorted grammars.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute