CAN SOMEONE HELP ME CONGEGATE AND TRANSLATE THIS PHRASE?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
MonkeyFist27
Textkit Neophyte

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME CONGEGATE AND TRANSLATE THIS PHRASE?

Post by MonkeyFist27 »

can someone help me translate the phrase "Fly with me past the walls of death" , im trying to do this for latin class, but i cant seem to get it right, i just want to get some outside help.

Thanks sooooo much!

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

What is the problem you are having?
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

MonkeyFist27
Textkit Neophyte

Post by MonkeyFist27 »

i just need someone who is better at latin than i am to translate this for me

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

You should really try to come half-way first by offering your own tentative translation, and then others could guide you in the right direction.
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

Homer: Well it's always in the last place you look.

vastor
Textkit Neophyte

Post by vastor »

Vola / Volate post muros mortis / necis mecum.

The plurality of the verb volo depends on how many are commanded. id est, how many you are inviting to fly with you.

I believe the ablative of accompaniment is appropriate here.
Last edited by vastor on Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Twpsyn
Textkit Member

Post by Twpsyn »

vastor wrote:Vola / Volate post muros mortis / necis cum me.
*Mecum.

I think praetervola(te) muros would be more appropriate than vola(te) post muros. Post really means 'behind'.

Of course, without knowing what the context of your class is, MonkeyFist, and what vocab. you know already, I can't really predict what your teacher expects.

Also, since this thread is ten days old, MonkeyFist probably already has made his own translation without our help ...

vastor
Textkit Neophyte

Post by vastor »

Twpsyn wrote: *Mecum.
"2. cum is added to the ablative of relative, interrogative, and personal pronouns instead of being placed before them."

I forgot about that, thanks for reminding me. I had recently completed that section of dooge's :(
Twpsyn wrote: I think praetervola(te) muros would be more appropriate than vola(te).
I couldn't comment on that.
Twpsyn wrote: Post really means 'behind'.
I wasn't sure which adverb to use, but I always associate 'Post' with post mortem (after death), so that was the premise for my choice. My dictionary gives the following english synonyms; behind, afterwards, after. Past / After seem similar at least in english.
Twpsyn wrote: Of course, without knowing what the context of your class is, MonkeyFist, and what vocab. you know already, I can't really predict what your teacher expects.

Also, since this thread is ten days old, MonkeyFist probably already has made his own translation without our help ...
Because no one else provided a solution, I thought it would be ok.