Howdy... salvete?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
h3lblad3
Textkit Neophyte

Howdy... salvete?

Post by h3lblad3 »

H3lblad3 here.

I have had no formal training, so I obviously need as much help as I can get.
Hahaha. :D

I've sadly had trouble understanding books, I dare say they overwhelm me. I borrowed Latin for Americans I from our Library, and it's pretty simple... but I couldn't understand it at all at first, sadly. I kinda had to have it explained to me. I'm not a very good self-teacher, I guess.

Anyway, I've hung out at that Latinum podcast and learned a little, and then I found http://www.youtube.com/user/latinguy2009. He makes a few mistakes here and there. Like not focusing on stresses and such. Too busy hurrying to get it all within his time limit.

I've seen some people here mentioning Lingua Latina or something like that. More natural or something? Can someone explain why it's so good?

Brent2009
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Brent2009 »

I've kept up with Latinguy2009, he does rush things into timing, and doesnt emphasize stresses, but overall, he teaches latin very well. I use him as a resource with my learning. Despite that, Welcome to the Forum H3blad3, and I don't know much about Lingua Latina.

Twpsyn
Textkit Member

Post by Twpsyn »

Lingua Latina is nice. I use it to teach, and I already knew my Latin before I learned about it, so I can't speak for how difficult it would be to an autodidact. Everything (grammar and vocab) is explained through Latin itself, either by the context of a running story, or through labelled pictures, or through explanatory notes in the margin. I imagine one might get stuck with some words if one has no teacher, but that is what dictionaries are for. The story it tells is quite lively, too.