38 latin stores, the fifth story

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Banana tree
Textkit Neophyte

38 latin stores, the fifth story

Post by Banana tree »

I found it much easier to write in Latin and mostly I'm feeling very insecure with my translations. It would be great if anybody could read my translations to the fifth story of the 38 latin stories and point out if I have made any bad or wrong translations since I can't find any translations of the storys. I just want to know that I got the story right.

Here's the story (I've marked meanings that I'm insecure about with an asteriscus :wink:):
"Phaethon est filius Phoebi. Amicus Phaethontis de fama divinae origins dubitat*: "Non es filius dei. Non habes dona deorum. Non vera est tua fabula". Magna ira Phaethontem movet: "Filius dei sum! Phoebe, da signum!" vocat Phaethon. Phoebus puerum auscultat et sine mora volat de caelo. "O mi fili, quid desideras?" Phoebus rogat. "Pecuniam? Sapientiam? Vitam sine curis?" Respondet Phaethon, "Habenas habere et currum solis agere desidero". O stulte puer! Malum est tuum consilium. Non debes officia deorum desiderare*. Phoebus filium monet, sed puer magna pericula non videt. Equi valent; non valet Phaethon.* Currus sine vero magistro errat in caelo*. Quid videmus? De caelo cadit Phaethon. O mala fortuna.

And this is my translation of my translation (wrote it in Swedish first):
Phaethon is son of Phoebis. Phaethon's friend doubt about Phaethon's divine reputation's origin: "You are not god's son. You don't have the gods' gifts (or perhaps blessings?). Your story isn't true." Great anger affect Phaethon: "I am God's son! Phoebus, prove it!" Phaethon calls. Phoebus hear the boy and answers directly: "My son, what do you want?" Phoebus ask. "Money? Knowledge? A life without troubles?" Phaethons answers: "I want reins and a chariot ordered." Stupid boy! Your intention is bad. You oughtn't wish for the gods' duty. Phoebus warns the boy, but he doesn't see the great danger. Strong horses; Phaethon isn't strong. The chariot err in heaven without a real expert. What do we see? Phaethon who falls from heaven. Oh, great disaster.

Alatius
Textkit Fan

Re: 38 latin stores, the fifth story

Post by Alatius »

Banana tree wrote:"Phaethon est filius Phoebi. Amicus Phaethontis de fama divinae origins dubitat*: "Non es filius dei. Non habes dona deorum. Non vera est tua fabula". Magna ira Phaethontem movet: "Filius dei sum! Phoebe, da signum!" vocat Phaethon. Phoebus puerum auscultat et sine mora volat de caelo. "O mi fili, quid desideras?" Phoebus rogat. "Pecuniam? Sapientiam? Vitam sine curis?" Respondet Phaethon, "Habenas habere et currum solis agere desidero". O stulte puer! Malum est tuum consilium. Non debes officia deorum desiderare*. Phoebus filium monet, sed puer magna pericula non videt. Equi valent; non valet Phaethon.* Currus sine vero magistro errat in caelo*. Quid videmus? De caelo cadit Phaethon. O mala fortuna.

And this is my translation of my translation (wrote it in Swedish first):
Du får gärna posta din svenska översättning också, om du vill; jag tror inte någon tar illa vid sig. :)
Banana tree wrote: Phaethon is son of Phoebis. Phaethon's friend doubt about Phaethon's divine reputation's origin:
Better: they doubt (the truthfulness of) the rumour/reputation of [his] divine origin.
"You are not god's son. You don't have the gods' gifts (or perhaps blessings?). Your story isn't true." Great anger affect Phaethon: "I am God's son!
The Latin does not make the distinction, but the context tells that the translation "I'm a god's son" is closer to the intended meaning.
Phoebus, prove it!" Phaethon calls. Phoebus hear the boy and answers directly:
Not "answers" but "flies down from heaven".
"My son, what do you want?" Phoebus ask. "Money? Knowledge? A life without troubles?" Phaethons answers: "I want reins and a chariot ordered."
"habere et agere desidero" = "I desire to have and to drive". So, better, "I want to have the reins and drive the chariot of the sun."
Stupid boy! Your intention is bad. You oughtn't wish for the gods' duty. Phoebus warns the boy, but he doesn't see the great danger. Strong horses;
The horses are strong/powerful.
Phaethon isn't strong. The chariot err in heaven without a real expert. What do we see? Phaethon who falls from heaven.
Literally, simply "Phaethon falls from heaven."

Ser bra ut annars!

Banana tree
Textkit Neophyte

Re: 38 latin stores, the fifth story

Post by Banana tree »

Alatius wrote:The Latin does not make the distinction, but the context tells that the translation "I'm a god's son" is closer to the intended meaning.
Of course, the romans had more than one god. Thank you for the help. Det var inte så illa som det kändes i alla fall. Och du, kika i din inbox.