Textkit Logo

Short english-latin sentence

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Short english-latin sentence

Postby ascii » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:59 am

Hello,

I would be really thankful if somebody could tell me how to say this sentence in latin, I still have a really low level:

I'm living in your letters.

I'd like a translation with "letters" being a written or printed communication addressed to a person or organization and usually transmitted by mail. and another with it meaning a symbol or character that is conventionally used in writing and printing to represent a speech sound and that is part of an alphabet.. And I'd also like the verb in the continous form.

Thanks in advance.
ascii
Textkit Neophyte

Postby thesaurus » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:05 am

I don't want to encourage translation hand-outs, but "litteris tuis vivo" covers both of the meanings you mentioned.

Out of curiosity, what trouble did you have with this translation?
thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Postby ascii » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:12 am

Uhm, this is not any kind of homework, I just wanted to know how to say it in latin.
Well, first of all I dont know possesive pronouns. Second, I thought that if I wrote just vivo it would mean I live, and not I'm living.

And now a question has arised. The word is littera, -ae? It's in ablative plural, isn't it? Is one of ablative case's functions to function as a locative? Is really the preposition in unnecesary?
ascii
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Latin