Hi, new member

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Durkicl
Textkit Neophyte

Hi, new member

Post by Durkicl »

Salve,

I am new member here and I thought I'd say hello. I am a stay at home dad with a degree in Literature iand Theology. My wife is in the insurance business, so I get to hang out with my 17 month old daughter everyday.

I took 2 years of Latin in High School (Straight As), but I am a little rusty as it has been years since I declined a 4th declension noun. I am also learning Greek. My goals are twofold: one, reading ability in both languages so I can read Catullus and Homer in the original. Second, I want to be able to show my daughter as she grows up my appreciation for Literature, and I feel learning Greek and Latin will make me a better teacher to my little girl.

Another area where I feel a calling toward is the death of classical education in current schools in the USA. It saddens me when pupils think Homer is a cartoon character! Sad, I do think. I want to find ways to get Latin and Greek back in the schools!

Other than languages, I love soccer. I also like music, too. I write poetry and sometimes lecture on the subject (I was in an MA in Creative Writing program until life happened). I am working on a collection of verse, too. So I am a busy guy and I think this will be a great place for me to visit and connect.

:-) Cliff

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Salve, Cliff!

Welcome! When I have kids, I hope I'll have the opportunity to spend a lot of time with them too; you're lucky! In fact I intend to speak Latin with them every day, so they'll grow up with Latin and English as first languages, among others.

My own path has been through Lingua Latina by Hans Ørberg, and is what has brought me so far into the world of Latin. I can't laud it enough, and others here will be able to testify with me that it has made us quite fluent at reading Latin.

http://www.lingua-latina.dk/

As for Greek, I am studying through a book called Athenaze, which I also recommend.

Other than that, I have learned huge amounts from the generous and thoughtful members here over the years; I greatly value their input and collaboration.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

Welcome to Textkit, Cliff!

Ask every doubt that comes or pose every subject you want to deal about and great people here will answer you.
And, of course, I support Luke's suggestion. I study Latin with Lingua Latina after following other methods and getting a certain background in Latin Grammar. For Greek, Athenaze is the best option I know. I study Attic by means of Athenaze too -after having studied with methods offered here.
http://vivariumnovum.it/Greco.htm

Regards,
Gonzalo

Durkicl
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Durkicl »

Lucus Eques,

I see you are from the Lehigh Valley. I grew up in Scranton and I dated a girl from Allentown back in college. Small world, eh?

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Awesome! I just watched the "Benihana Christmas" episode of The Office !

Actually I've since moved home from Bethlehem after graduating from Lehigh, so I should probably change that back to my hometown, which is in Bucks County. I've actually never been to Scranton, but I've fallen in love with it through The Office, heh.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS