Textkit Logo

Subjunctive of EREW

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Subjunctive of EREW

Postby Bert » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:35 am

Can someone tell me why the 1st person pl subjunctive of [face=SPIonic]e)re/w[/face] is [face=SPIonic]e)rei/wmen[/face] (Pharr section 158 line 3) and not [face=SPIonic]e)reu/wmen[/face]. Actually I don't even understand why it should be [face=SPIonic]e)reu/wmen[/face]. After the contraction of the Epsilon with the Omicron, why does the Omega still appear? Shouldn't it be part of [face=SPIonic]eu[/face], since it is the product of the contraction?
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Re:Subjunctive of EREW

Postby Paul » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:53 pm

Hi Bert,<br /><br />Several sources derive [face=SPIonic]e)rei/omen[/face] (1.62) from the non-attested [face=SPIonic]mi[/face] verb [face=SPIonic]e)/rhmi[/face].<br /><br />Such non-thematic forms may form the subjunctive by adding the thematic vowel plus primary ending giving, in this case:<br /><br />[face=SPIonic]e)rh/-o-men[/face]<br /><br />The Homeric manuscripts sometimes have [face=SPIonic]ei[/face] instead of the [face=SPIonic]h[/face] in the stem, whence [face=SPIonic]e)rei/omen[/face].<br /><br />See also the first person singular subjunctive [face=SPIonic]kixh/w[/face] at 1.26. Its 1st person plural can appear as [face=SPIonic]kixei/omen[/face] or [face=SPIonic]kixh/omen[/face]<br /><br />Cordially,<br /><br />Paul<br />
Paul
Textkit Zealot

Postby annis » Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:06 pm

Subjunctives in Epic are fun!<br /><br />Sometimes, and unpredictably as far as I can see, some verbs with a vowel stem may, at the whim of the poet, lengthen the stem vowel. This shows up in my aorist article, too, where the standard subjunctive is [face=SPIonic]gnw=[/face], but Homer can say [face=SPIonic]gnw/w[/face] when he needs a spondee.<br /><br />This same thing happens to some other verbs, as here.<br /><br />(Homeric scholars still get into fights about whether [face=SPIonic]bei/w[/face] or [face=SPIonic]bh/w[/face] is the actual subjunctive Homer used. Due to peculiarities in the first alphabet Homer was recorded in this isn't entirely clear.)<br /><br />You might want to hunt down either Cunliffe's or Autenrieth's dictionaries. They're not expensive, and I know you're planning to move on to NT, but Cunliffe in particular is good about pointing out all the different things that can happen to a little verb in Epic.<br /><br />
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot

Postby bingley » Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:24 am

And if you can't find them, Autenrieth's dictionary is on Perseus.
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Bert » Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:04 pm

Thanks. <br />Bert.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Greek