Ending tenses???

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Casval
Textkit Neophyte

Ending tenses???

Post by Casval »

Hey, I've been working on a sort of flag for a group of friends and everyones wanting a couple Latin words on it but no one knows Latin.

They basically want it to say 'eternally watching' and 'eternally victorious', which I've managed to narrow down to 'aeternum servo', and 'aeternum victor' (or would it be victoria?) but I still don't know what the proper endings for 'servo' and 'victor/victoria' would be.

Any and all help is appreciated.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

If you want something simple, you could try "Victores Sempiterni" which just means "Eternal Victors," or "victor sempiturnus" if you want it in the singular for your team. Or maybe "vigilans semper victor" which is "always watchful victor.

Essorant
Textkit Fan

Post by Essorant »

Perhaps <b>aeternum vigilantes</b> "eternally watching" and <b>aeternum victoriosi</b> "eternally victorious".<pre></pre>

Casval
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Casval »

So does that mean "aeternum" is in the right tense? I wasn't sure about that one either to be honest.

Also, victoriosi? Thats imperitive active present right? I've been reading a bit about tenses and I thought it would need to be in indicative active present? Did I miss something?

Also I know "servo" more than anything else means to protect, but I'd like to stick with that, 'eternally protecting'

Again, thanks for the help and sorry if I'm confusing or anything like that. I'm trying my best to learn with the materials available to me (which at this point is basically just wikipedia).

Tertius Robertus
Textkit Fan
Location: 666 Burning Hotties Road, Ol' Dis by Styx, 5th inner circle, Hell.

Post by Tertius Robertus »

I'm trying my best to learn with the materials available to me (which at this point is basically just wikipedia).
:shock: :shock: :shock:

http://www.textkit.com/latin_grammar.php