Vote for the next Latin book to be posted!

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Vote for the next Latin book to be posted!

Post by Jeff Tirey »

I just to know which book to do next, all have advantages and disadvantages. So what do you want?<br /><br />Be sure to VOTE - not just reply to this thread.
Last edited by Jeff Tirey on Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Textkit Founder

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re:Vote for the next Latin book to be posted!

Post by benissimus »

Tough choice... I was torn between Greenough's and Vergil.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil »

Assuming that it follows on from Wheelock, this sounds just the ticket:<br /><br />Second Year Latin - Greenough - Beginner to Intermediate Latin Reader (thick)<br /><br />Do you have to be thick though?<br />

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

Yes a tough choice, I own Gildersleeve ;D and I'm no where close to reading Vergil or Terence. So Second Year Latin-Greenough-Beginner to Intermediate Reader<br /><br />And just how thick is thick?

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=MDS link=board=3;threadid=694;start=0#6674 date=1064374286]<br />And just how thick is thick?<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Hmm... my guess is that it's more than 400 pages. ;D<br /><br />

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

yes, it's more like 600 meaning that it would be a massive download of around 30 MB.
Textkit Founder

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

You post it and I shall download it! :)

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I picked Vergil, even though I'm not up to that level yet...I'm longing to read him in Latin! :)

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=jeff link=board=3;threadid=694;start=0#6713 date=1064403096]<br />yes, it's more like 600 meaning that it would be a massive download of around 30 MB. <br />[/quote]<br /><br /><br />I have no problems with downloading a 30MB document (gotta love high speed connections!), but I'm sure there are people who are using dial-up and such a d/l would take an excruciatingly long time. I would prefer working with one PDF, however, it might be a good idea to offer this one in 3 or 4 smaller parts for those who can't feasibly d/l it in one fell swoop. Although hd space is cheap, there may also be people using much older pcs with smaller hds and it's possible they might not have enough space for 30MB at once. I think offering multiple discrete PDFs would make this book available to more people in this situation. They can d/l and work through one small part at a time (or archive it to make space for the next section).<br /><br /><br />(I realize that it's possible to divide up a file into multiple smaller downloads, and then have people piece it all together afterwards (for example, using WinRAR), but I think that can cause its own difficulties with requiring people to have some util to do that, nevermind learning how to do it.)<br /><br />

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

I think I'll try it with this one.<br /><br />The book has a natural division between Part 1 - Easy Selections and Part 2 - Gallic War. (not to mention Textkit already has Gallic War)<br /><br />I can just do each part, along with the notes in the appendix and vocabulary. It would reduce the file size by about 40% I think.
Textkit Founder

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by whiteoctave »

mihi, quamcumque librem legat, primum hominem Jeffjeffjeffum esse dicendum!<br /><br />~dave

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />Looks like Greenough and Virgil are neck and neck. What happens if we have a tie?<br /><br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Flip a Roman coin, of course. ;D

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil »

Capita aut caudae?

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Hey-I understood that!!! :o I must be making progress! ;D

Alundis
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Alundis »

Who voted for Terence besides me?

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=3;threadid=694;start=0#6906 date=1064543284]<br />Hey-I understood that!!! :o I must be making progress! ;D<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Me too! Me too! I love it when I can understand Latin. :) I'm looking forward to the day when I can actually hold a conversation in the Agora.<br /><br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Alundis link=board=3;threadid=694;start=15#6907 date=1064543956]<br />Who voted for Terence besides me?<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Not me. I don't even know what Terrence's Phormio is. :(<br /><br />

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Me. I have vague memories of having had to read it in translation as an undergraduate for a course on Ancient Drama, and enjoying it.

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

If anyone hasn't yet explored Terence - I think you should. His comedies are sprinkled with little lessons about life that are still very true today. Penguin Classics has a nice Terence edition.
Textkit Founder

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

So, perhaps you should post it next...but I still vote for Vergil! :) <br /><br />I notice that no one has voted for Gildersleeve yet. Does everyone except myself own a hard copy? :(

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />I didn't realize Terence was Roman drama. Is there a lot of drama available out there?<br /><br />

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=3;threadid=694;start=15#6929 date=1064579944]<br />I notice that no one has voted for Gildersleeve yet. Does everyone except myself own a hard copy? :( [/quote]<br /><br />Yes, Gildersleeve is quite lonely there. I think it's due to the fact that it's "watered down". I didn't choose it because I would have wanted an unabridged version.<br /><br />Gildersleeve is one the book high up on my "to buy" list. I'm just waiting for the day when I'm advanced enough to appreciate it. It comes in both hard cover and paperback. I've already decided on the hard cover.<br /><br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Hmm...Greenough and Vergil are exactly tied.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />Uh oh ... somebody better dig out a Latin coin ...<br /><br />Maybe Jeff will do two books if it's a tie?<br /><br />

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

[quote author=mariek link=board=3;threadid=694;start=15#6948 date=1064590356]<br /><br />I didn't realize Terence was Roman drama. Is there a lot of drama available out there?<br /><br /><br />[/quote]<br /><br />For Roman drama on Perseus (http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cache/pers ... Roman.html) look under Plautus (T. Maccius Plautus) or Terence (P. Terentius Afer) for comedies. Tragedies by Seneca also survive but are not on Perseus. Look in Forum Romanum (http://www.forumromanum.org/literature/ ... ngerx.html) under Tragoediae about 2/3 of the way down the page.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />Bingley, it always amazes me how you're always able to come up with a link to everything. <br /><br />

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

I have a butterfly mind, it never stays in one place for long. I have a huge list of favourite links. When I first got onto the internet I just went link-happy, always clicking on links and then saving them to look at 'later'. For many of them 'later' has never come, but I can find lots of things in my list. Looking for information is something I enjoy doing. The looking is half the fun. I just wish I could find someone to pay me to do it. ;D I would be in heaven.

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

What I really can not find is De Bello Gallico by D'Ooge.<br />After Latin For Beginners that would be ideal...<br /><br />Or am I totally confusing it and he did not write that?

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Hmm, I voted for the Greenough but it was a very close choice - I'd be just as happy with the Aeneid. (Actually I'd like all of them but I do realise you are busy with other things Jeff!

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

I dunno much about which latin book willl help the most, but greenough sounded green enough for textkit's green color. 8)

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

I actually am wanting to change my vote now to Vergil. How many books does the Aenead have anyways?
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by whiteoctave »

Twelve wonderful books. Twelve more than Vergil wanted to exist.<br /><br />~dave

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=694;start=15#7150 date=1064768510]<br />What I really can not find is De Bello Gallico by D'Ooge.<br />After Latin For Beginners that would be ideal...<br /><br />Or am I totally confusing it and he did not write that?<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I thought Caeser wrote that?

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />I believe he's referring to Caesar in Gaul by Benjamin L. D'Ooge and Frederick C. Eastman. It's probably hard to find due to being out of print.<br /><br />It's available on eBay! <br />http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... y=29719<br /><br />

Milito
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Milito »

It may be a lost cause, but I'm voting for Terence 'cause he's kinda hard to find elsewhere....<br /><br />Kilmeny (briefly popping up for air between Latin homework assignments......)

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

[quote author=Milito link=board=3;threadid=694;start=30#7261 date=1064857568]<br />Kilmeny (briefly popping up for air between Latin homework assignments......)<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I was wondering where you've been lately!
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />Kilmeny! It's so good to see you again! I've been wondering where you've been ... thought you might have gotten transferred to some remote place with no internet access.<br /><br />

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Only ship to united states :-\

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />You might try emailing that person to see if he's willing to make an exception for you. I really don't think sending a book to the UK could be all that much more work.<br /><br />Have you searched eBay in the UK?<br /><br />