Translation help-Lingua Latin Chapter 19

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
wongallo
Textkit Neophyte

Translation help-Lingua Latin Chapter 19

Post by wongallo »

I am wondering if anybody can help with translating: "Nonne intellegis non modo amorem nostrum, sed etiam familiam tempore augeri?
from the last part of chapter 19 of Lingua Latina. I still can't figure it out.

thanks.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

If you're this far along in the book I'm sure you actually already have all you need. We'll lead you through it. First, translate it as best you can. That way I'll be able to see where you're having trouble.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

Salve, wongallo:

Remember that certain "verbs" are followed by the acc.+ inf.

So, we have: Nonne "intellegis" non modo amorem nostrum, sed etiam familiam tempore augeri?

If you still can't make sense of the sentence, try adding 'quod' after "intellegis" and convert the accusative into nominative and the infinitive into indicative (this, I believe, is what the Mediaevals did to this type of sentence construction).

Hope this helps.

Vale!
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

Homer: Well it's always in the last place you look.

wongallo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by wongallo »

salvete Luce et Amadeus

here is a very crude translation of the above:
Don't you understand that it is not only time to grow our love, but also the family?

hmmm... doesn't make sense. I'm not sure why I am having so much trouble with this.

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

wongallo wrote:here is a very crude translation of the above:
Don't you understand that it is not only time to grow our love, but also the family?

hmmm... doesn't make sense. I'm not sure why I am having so much trouble with this.
Sed augeri est verbum passivum!

Alio modo:

Nonne intellegis quod non modo amor noster, sed etiam familia nostra quotannis augentur?

Etiam

Nonne intellegis quod non modo amor noster, sed etiam familia nostra a tempore augentur?
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

Homer: Well it's always in the last place you look.

wongallo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by wongallo »

I think I got it!
thanks Amadeus, the passive really threw me off.

I would translate it as:

don't you know that not only our love, but also our family has been growing for sometime or some years?

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Yes, coy wife in Orberg's sitcom reminds stupid hubbie that over-eating is not the reason she's getting 'fatter'(crassior). Not only their love but also their family (=her belly) increases with time.

So how well has Orbilius Orberg presented the passive infinitive and the accusative-and-infinitive construction earlier on in the book? As a mere erratic dabbler in the Orberg world (albeit a longstanding admirer), I'm not sure - and would love to hear the thoughts of the cognoscenti. Page references ...?

Cheers,
Int