Textkit Logo

Iota subscript

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Iota subscript

Postby Bert » Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:03 pm

I learned that a subscripted Iota does not affect pronunciation.<br />Just today I heard ...[face=SPIonic]w|[/face] pronounced as [face=SPIonic]oi[/face].<br />I have always pronounced it as [face=SPIonic]w[/face]. So, what does it mean that it does not affect pronunciation; Is it pronounced like a regular diphthong, or is it pronounced like the Iota is not there at all?<br />Thank you<br />Bert.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Re:Iota subscript

Postby klewlis » Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:15 pm

I was taught to pronounce it as a regular [face=SPIonic]w[/face]<br /><br />But I wouldn't be surprised if scholars debated it (as they do everything) so maybe it depends on who your teacher is...
klewlis
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Clemens » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:07 am

As far as I know, the reason for writing the [face=SPIonic]i[/face] under the other vowel was that they didn't speak it anymore, but in earlier times they did...:)
Clemens
Textkit Member

Postby Ptahhotep » Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:23 am

In written Greek, the Iota Subscript when capitalised looks like this [face=SPIonic]WI[/face] (Iota adscript), and it never makes a diphthong, at least in Classical Greek. So I would pronounce it like a normal [face=SPIonic]w[/face], maybe a bit shorter?
phpbb
Ptahhotep
Textkit Neophyte

Postby annis » Sun Sep 14, 2003 5:11 pm

When reading Epic or archaic poetry I make some effort to pronounce the iota. But the sound of the iota dropped out by about 100BC (started earlier?). So, people stopped writing it. But then grammarians (people whom many a later Greek poet mocks) said "hey! this used to have an iota." So they added the subscriptum tail.<br /><br />It may be correct to pronounce the iota for Attic authors (plays, Plato, etc), but probably is not for Koine.<br />
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;
annis
Textkit Zealot

Postby mingshey » Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:31 pm

Since I'm a beginner, I try to pronounce the subscribed iota, for memory's sake. Anyway I'm not interested in koine for now.
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Postby Nancy » Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:46 am

I am having the same problem. I seem to remember that my teacher Mr,. Smith did pronounce the subscript iota, but very<br />quickly. like agora[i}. But I wouldn't swear to this on a stack of bibles. Ha!Ha!
phpbb
Nancy
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Emma_85 » Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:27 pm

Well I know my teacher doesn't pronounce it, but then he thinks it's not use trying to pronounce Greek correctly anyway, as we'll never really know how they pronounced it, and as all we're going to do is translate it he doesn't see the point.
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby benissimus » Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:17 pm

Well, just because you're never going to visit Germany or Spain doesn't mean you shouldn't learn pronunciation when you take German or Spanish :-\
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby mingshey » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:02 am

Without correct pronunciation, I'd never understand why an acorn says "geometry" when it's grown up. :D
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Postby Keesa » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:13 am

HAHAHAHA! ;D Cute! I like it! <br />
phpbb
Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Postby Bert » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:17 am

[quote author=mingshey link=board=2;threadid=636;start=0#6640 date=1064361777]<br />Without correct pronunciation, I'd never understand why an acorn says "geometry" when it's grown up. :D<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Your right. I had to say it out loud twice before I knew what you meant. Good one.<br />Bert.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Postby Ioannes1985 » Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:13 am

[quote author=Emma_85 link=board=2;threadid=636;start=0#6564 date=1064330838]<br />Well I know my teacher doesn't pronounce it, but then he thinks it's not use trying to pronounce Greek correctly anyway, as we'll never really know how they pronounced it, and as all we're going to do is translate it he doesn't see the point.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Quite the contrary actually. There is good reason to actually pronounce ancient Greek as well as ancient Latin and correctly at that. Many works of the time were meant to either be heard or read a loud (remember the idea of reading silently did not develop until much later.). <br /><br />If you seriously believe we have little idea of the ancient forms of pronunciation of the Greek (and again, Latin) language, I suggest you do a little research into what we do know, and you might find yourself a little surprised.
phpbb
Ioannes1985
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek