Learning French

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
timeodanaos
Textkit Fan

Learning French

Post by timeodanaos »

As of now, I speak, read and write three languages, Danish, English and German; I am able to read Latin although I have no real proficiency in writing the language (thanks to Danish educational system) - and also Greek.

This september, I am going to begin my Indo-European linguistic studies at the University of Copenhagen, in conjunction with which it is demanded that courses in Vedic Sanskrit and Gothic be taken.

I have long wanted to learn French, and so far my school has taken up the time I could have used learning this language - now I have in the vicinity of two months until I have to immerse myself in new languages, so the time is now!

Do any of you have suggestions for a complete beginner, enabling me to become proficient at least in reading in a few months' time? In time, I would want to be able to write and of course use the language orally.

"Thank you"s in advance :)

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

French in Action is awesome:

http://www.learner.org/resources/series83.html

It's been enormously wonderful and helpful to me.

I wish I had something like this for Spanish.
And Italian.
And Greek.
And ... all of them.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Learning French

Post by annis »

timeodanaos wrote:This september, I am going to begin my Indo-European linguistic studies at the University of Copenhagen, in conjunction with which it is demanded that courses in Vedic Sanskrit and Gothic be taken.
oooOOOooo. I'm jealous.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

timeodanaos
Textkit Fan

Re: Learning French

Post by timeodanaos »

annis wrote:
timeodanaos wrote:This september, I am going to begin my Indo-European linguistic studies at the University of Copenhagen, in conjunction with which it is demanded that courses in Vedic Sanskrit and Gothic be taken.
oooOOOooo. I'm jealous.
I would be, too, had I simply chosen to study Latin, which is why I decided this was the only choice I really had.

Luce: Your suggestion seems reasonable, however, I don't have the more than thousand dollars this costs. I was rather seeking something along the lines of Ørbergs Lingua Latina, a simple (but preferably brilliant! :D) book that will get me reading.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Thousand dollars?! The videos are free for you to download! Start with the second one; the first is an English intro.

French in Action is the video equivalent of a French Ørberg method.

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Essorant
Textkit Fan

Post by Essorant »

A few months ago, I bought a used grammarbook called "A Complete French Course, by Andre Parreaux" from abebooks.com and found it to be a very good grammar. If you wish to try it, there is a copy here for only $4.00.

spiphany
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by spiphany »

I've been using "Beginning French: A Cultural Approach" by Hendrix & Meiden. It's a reading-based (direct method) text from the 60s which was quite successful for a while but now out of print. It moves very quickly from simple sentences to a fairly high level of complexity. You would need to find some audio system to supplement it, however.
IPHIGENIE: Kann uns zum Vaterland die Fremde werden?
ARKAS: Und dir ist fremd das Vaterland geworden.
IPHIGENIE: Das ist's, warum mein blutend Herz nicht heilt.
(Goethe, Iphigenie auf Tauris)

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

I think that what Spiphany suggests would be the best option but, if you couldn´t find it out, maybe you´ll find useful this: http://www.fsi-language-courses.com/French.aspx
I am using FSI Modern Greek course and it works fairly well. So, you could try with French by means of such a course.

Regards,
Gonzalo

swiftnicholas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by swiftnicholas »

The French in Action videos are really great. For practice in reading, I used to read articles in Le Monde about which I had some background already, i.e., for me, American news and politics. That way I already knew the situation and context, many of the people involved, and could guess at most of the words that I didn't know. It helped me to read and acquire new vocabulary quickly.

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

Luke,

Did you just use the videos of French In Action to learn French, or did you also buy some of the books? This method looks very promising, I think I'm going to use it when my time comes to learn French.

It is a shame one cannot download them, just stream them.
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

Homer: Well it's always in the last place you look.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Sure you can download them! I have them all backed up on CD, in fact. I have QuickTime Pro, and a Mac; that might have something to do with it.

And I know some rudimentary French from books, but that programme French in Action will cover just about everything you need for an awesome start.

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

timeodanaos
Textkit Fan

Post by timeodanaos »

Lucus Eques wrote:Thousand dollars?! The videos are free for you to download! Start with the second one; the first is an English intro.

French in Action is the video equivalent of a French Ørberg method.
I didn't realise that was a possibility - I just saw the prices of the DVDs. I'll look into them as soon as I have the time, some time during the week.

timeodanaos
Textkit Fan

Post by timeodanaos »

oh, and not to forget my manners; thank you for all the suggestions!

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Lucus Eques:

Since my new son-in-(common-)law is French, I decided to check out your French in Action site. Sadly, all I got was this:

Due to licensing agreements, viewing of the video French in Action - Planning and Anticipating I is restricted to network connections in the United States and Canada. Your connection appears to be based outside this area.
For information on purchasing this program please see our list of international distributors.

Any workarounds?

Cheers,
Int

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Damn. If I send you the AVIs on CD, will you buy me the new Ørberg Cicero book?

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by anphph »

Same problem as Interaxus. :?

And if you would also send them to me, I'd buy you the Lucretius one!

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

I used a US proxy, and I can view the videos just fine! I can even download them (though I'm kinda worried about that copyright notice).
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

quendidil
Textkit Member

Post by quendidil »

If one is not bothered by copyright issues, there is p2p.

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

quendidil wrote:If one is not bothered by copyright issues, there is p2p.
I have been keeping my thoughts to myself for a while but if those interested in learning French -or other language- have not problem using p2p file-sharing programs, then try to find out Assimil French course. :lol:

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Luce:

I'll take you up on that magnificent offer if I may (having failed to get a proxy to do the job). Is this the one you mean:

http://www.amazon.com/Lingua-Latina-Sal ... 8790696115

If so, pm me the address you want me to have it sent it to.

Cheers,
Int

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

We have a deal, Interaxe!

Miguel, you still in?

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by anphph »

Yes, Luce!

I will be ordering it later today for myself (still thinking about whether the Enchiridia would be worth it, given that I can barely read Italian...), and will order one to your address. Also, I suggested De Rerum Natura but if you'd prefer any other, do specify-- same effort ordering that or another.

Valé!

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

By the way, at least one of the videos has an error where the video ends before the original recording has finished. I double checked, and the error is with the original stream, not my download.

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

I'm watching these lessons of French in Action and all I'm hearing is Spanish with a crooked mouth. :lol:

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Funny, it sounds like you Spanish speakers just couldn't get Italian quite right ... :D

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

Lucus Eques wrote:Funny, it sounds like you Spanish speakers just couldn't get Italian quite right ... :D
LMAO

timeodanaos
Textkit Fan

Post by timeodanaos »

Lucus Eques wrote:Funny, it sounds like you Spanish speakers just couldn't get Italian quite right ... :D
Those Italians just don't get the Latin right - if all speakers of romance language must do something wrong.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

I watched French in Action a number of years ago and thought it was pretty good. They might still show it on TV. They were always on at odd hours so I'd have Tivo record it for me. I did not know that you could download them. That's pretty cool! I'll have to go take a lookie...

DoctrinaeStudeo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by DoctrinaeStudeo »

Do they have videos like this in Spanish?

Also, would this be considered "thread hijacking?" Should I start a new thread for this question?

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

Hi,

Try this: http://www.learner.org/resources/series75.html

And a topic was begun some time ago: viewtopic.php?t=8284 So, ask there whatever you want.

Regards,
Gonzalo
Last edited by Gonzalo on Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoctrinaeStudeo
Textkit Neophyte

Ah, thank you so much.

I can write Spanish fine (what I've learned so far, anyways), but when people speak it it is gibberish to me. Thank you again.

Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Gonzalo »

DoctrinaeStudeo wrote:
Ah, thank you so much.

I can write Spanish fine (what I've learned so far, anyways), but when people speak it it is gibberish to me. Thank you again.
Excuse me, I´ve rewritten my post when you were answering it. I posted useful links there to help in learning Spanish.

Regards,
Gonzalo

DoctrinaeStudeo
Textkit Neophyte

Gonzalo wrote: Excuse me, I´ve rewritten my post when you were answering it. I posted useful links there to help in learning Spanish.

Regards,
Gonzalo
Okay, I'll take a look at that too.

Thank you again.