Dictionary recomendation, please.

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
dlb
Textkit Member

Dictionary recomendation, please.

Post by dlb »

Can anyone recomend a good Latin/English English/Latin dictionary?
Thanks,
dlb
Deus me ducet, non ratio.
Observito Quam Educatio Melius Est.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Salve dlb

I recommend Tibi commendo
Cassell's Latin-English English-Latin Dictionary £12 new (the edition with 900+ pages; the abridged edition has 400+ pages; and the 2000 edition with 900+ pages costs £50 but I don't know if it is worth the extra money compared to the older cheaper edition with 900+ pages by a different publisher.)

dlb
Textkit Member

Post by dlb »

adrianus wrote:Salve dlb

Cassell's Latin-English English-Latin Dictionary £12 new (the edition with 900+ pages; the abridged edition has 400+ pages; and the 2000 edition with 900+ pages costs £50 but I don't know if it is worth the extra money compared to the older cheaper edition with 900+ pages by a different publisher.)
Thanks for the reply. I've seen it at Borders, have the Spanish version, but wondered if there were other choices. The 900+ page version here, with coupon, will cost me ~$20.00.
One day soon I am going to know how to gracefully exit e-mail replies in Latin, but until that day ...

Thanks again,
dlb
Deus me ducet, non ratio.
Observito Quam Educatio Melius Est.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

dlb wrote:
adrianus wrote:Salve dlb

Thanks for the reply. I've seen it at Borders, have the Spanish version, but wondered if there were other choices. The 900+ page version here, with coupon, will cost me ~$20.00.
One day soon I am going to know how to gracefully exit e-mail replies in Latin, but until that day ...

Thanks again,
dlb
Make sure you get the version with usage examples (quotes from classical authors), which I believe is the long version. The condensed version lacks this and seeing words in context will be of help to you.