Summer Latin Reading Group

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Summer Latin Reading Group

Post by thesaurus »

Is anyone here interested in participating in a reading group this summer? The idea arose on another forum, but I thought I'd see if any of you fine contubernales would join.

The thing is just getting started, but I created a Google Group for it today:
http://groups.google.com/group/latin-reading-group/

We'll decide on some prose and/or poetry to read, and we can do segments every week, posting translations, questions, comments, etc. I'm currently advocating some Cicero and Vergil, but I'm open to suggestions.

This group (hopefully) will likely contain a wide range of skill levels, from those who have just finished Wheelock to seasoned latinists. So please sign up at the above link if you're interested!

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

The group has officially commenced with Cicero's "In Verrem" as the set text. It promises to be a delightful invective. So join and tell your Latinate friends of all levels!

http://groups.google.com/group/latin-reading-group/

Stay tuned for when I think of some Latin poetry to cover at the same time for those who are thus inclined.

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

Salve, Thesaure:

Way to take initiative! :) I hope you get lots of subscribers. Greek has taken up most of my time allotted to language study, so I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to keep the level of commitment needed for such a study group. However, I would like to make a couple of suggestions: :P

1) Why not also post the study texts here to increase viewership? (Even better, the mods could make a new "Latin" section called "Summer reading" or "Reading programs".)

2) Cicero? :shock: Would you not benefit more with an easier author (just a tinsy bit)?

Vale, amice!
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

Homer: Well it's always in the last place you look.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

Amadeus wrote:Salve, Thesaure:

Way to take initiative! :) I hope you get lots of subscribers. Greek has taken up most of my time allotted to language study, so I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to keep the level of commitment needed for such a study group. However, I would like to make a couple of suggestions: :P

1) Why not also post the study texts here to increase viewership? (Even better, the mods could make a new "Latin" section called "Summer reading" or "Reading programs".)

2) Cicero? :shock: Would you not benefit more with an easier author (just a tinsy bit)?

Vale, amice!
I beseech you to do what you can for the greater good! Memora latinum officium tuum! I'd be happy to participate with people here. My Greek has been taking up lots of my time as well, but it often feels nice to retreat to the soothing lap of Lady Latin.

I'm happy to do something non-Ciceronian, but I was at a loss for other suggestions. And since Cicero is who I feel I know best, I defaulted to him. But God knows I could use something fresh!

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

thesaurus wrote:I beseech you to do what you can for the greater good! Memora latinum officium tuum!

I shall try to follow your reading group, but cannot make any promises. :(
thesaurus wrote:it often feels nice to retreat to the soothing lap of Lady Latin.
Ho ho! Doesn't it? Greek often feels like a harsh mistress, very unforgiving. :lol:
I'm happy to do something non-Ciceronian, but I was at a loss for other suggestions. And since Cicero is who I feel I know best, I defaulted to him. But God knows I could use something fresh!
Actually, I think I missed this thread back when you originally posted it. I didn't know the group had already decided on one author.

Vale!
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

Homer: Well it's always in the last place you look.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

Unlike laughter and herpes, it seems that a love for Cicero is not contagious. With this and a lightened reading load in mind, I've decided to post some select letters of Seneca if anyone is interested.

The first is titled "Live as if you were before the eyes of all," or better yet, "The Roman Celebrity Spotlight."

http://groups.google.com/group/latin-re ... 0daa1c9db0