Reading A Greek Boy At Home

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Reading A Greek Boy At Home

Post by Amadeus »

I have been reading Rouse's "A Greek Boy At Home" for quite a while now, and as much as I try to get past the first lessons quickly, I can't seem to do it. The main problem is with vocabulary, which cannot be deduced (for the most part) from the context, and the accompanying glossary apparently omits several key words. It can get very, very frustrating, but I refuse to let this book go. To further complicate matters, Rouse is mixing Greek dialects, and I only know, more or less, the forms of Attic Greek. And even though I can guess the equivalence between some forms (e.g. διδόασι καὶ διδῶσι), I just stumbled upon this word today, and I can't make sense of its form: καθίησι as in ? γεω?γὸς καθίησι τὸ κάτω τοῦ ἀ?ότ?ου εἰς τὴν γῆν. First of all, it's not in the glossary (or at least I can't find it), and, second, when I look up the word in "Diogenes" I get καθίζω, which I already know means "to sit," while further down I see καθεῖσεν, meaning "to set or to place", which makes more sense. But then what dialect uses καθίησι? Can anyone help?
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

Homer: Well it's always in the last place you look.

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

Ooooohhh, pffff, I get it now! It's a "-μι" verb! No wonder I didn't even recognize it as a third person verb. I didn't really study this form when I was using "Thrasymachus". Wow, I'm not even past chapter IX of AGBAH and I'm already finding "-μι" verbs. :oops:

EDIT: Thanks Modus! We posted about the same time. I thought I was dealing with dialects (because Rouse does mix them up), and now I see my error. In my defense, though, the glossary is just crap! :lol:
Last edited by Amadeus on Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Reading A Greek Boy At Home

Post by modus.irrealis »

καθίησι is the 3rd person singular present of καθίημι, which is κατά + ἵημι. Also, for διδόασι vs. διδῶσι, that's indicative vs. subjunctive. For me, the μι-verbs were a real problem, and I just had to sit down and memorize the forms (in my case, I wrote them out over and over again). I'm not sure they can be learned any other way.

Edit: I see I was too late, but yeah, the μι-verbs are problematic :D.

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

"αἱ τ?ίχες αἱ ὑπε? τῶν ὀφθ?αλμῶν κείμεναι ὀφ??ες. καὶ ὑπὲ? τῶν ὀφθαλμῶν ?στι τὸ μέτωπον..."

Is this usage of the prep. ὑπε? correct? It seems to me that the first ὑπε? could be replaced with ?πί and the second with ?ν μέσῳ.

jk0592
Textkit Member

Post by jk0592 »

I do not know if this is of any help, but when I looked at "a greek boy at home", some of the missing vocabulary could be picked up in the book "a first greek course" also by Rouse.
Jean K.

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

Thanks jk0592, but my question isn't really related to vocabulary; rather, I'm asking about ὑπε?. It seems ὑπε? is being used to say "above" the eyes and "between" them. Doesn't ὀφ??ες mean eyebrows, and μέτωπον frown? If so, I don't see how they can be below the eyes.

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Post by modus.irrealis »

Hi,

ὑπέ? is "above" (in fact, I believe it's cognate with Latin super and English over). It's ὑπό that's "below". As for μέτωπον, I'd say the forehead is above the eyes.

About ?πί, i think the difference between it and ὑπέ? (at least in concrete cases) is the same as that between "on" and "above", i.e. that ?πί is used when there's some kind of contact.

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

damn! :oops: How do I keep mixing my prepositions?! I must've read that line over 10 times, and I couldn't make sense out of it because I kept confusing ὑπε? with ὑπό. :?

P.S.: Thanks Modus. You're always getting me out of jams. :lol:

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

By the way modus is right: While things are not always that clear, I think a good way to remember the difference between υπε? and επι is birds and trees. Birds fly υπε? a tree and sit επι a tree.

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Post by modus.irrealis »

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

I am trying SO hard not to write something about birds and bees and επι right now!