While I've been getting some Greek in, for the last few months I've spent more of my spare time churning out software. My programming language of choice is Common Lisp
â€” to technical people that will indicate I have an antiquarian taste in programming languages, too.
In any case, I've recently been working on a library to make producing SVG
, an XML graphics format, nicer. Last week I got sick of thinking about alpha masks and marker tags and decided to see if I could convert some NodeBox
examples into acceptable SVG. They turned out better than I had reason to expect.
"Generative art" is just a high-brow way of saying I've generated the images algorithmically, both using a random walk process. Here are two of the first algorithm, which I translated fairly faithfully (click for larger â€” they're PNG files because Picassa doesn't accept SVG at the moment):
When I got to the tendrils algorithm, though, I made a few changes which result in images that look somewhat more organic. They creeped out one of my coworkers:
For any of the random walk generators you're at the mercy of your pseudo-random number generator. Sometimes the nodes march right out of the viewing window â€” pretty dull. These are just a few that turned out OK.