ALTER (Is this an English word of Greek origin ???)

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Neos
Textkit Neophyte

ALTER (Is this an English word of Greek origin ???)

Post by Neos »

Some people say that alter derives from αλλότε??ος (allotterοs ), which is the Aeolic form of αλλότ?ιος (allotrios ) [foreign, different, one as different from another]. See: http://ewonago.blogspot.com/

Some other say that alter is a combination of the Greek words άλλος + έτε?ος (allos+eteros) (other, different, oposite).

Finally, others say that alter is just the Latin word alter.

Is there another theory?
What do you think?

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

The best authority for these questions is the OED:

a. 14th c. Fr. altére-r (Pr. or It. alterar) ad. med.L. altera-re, f. alter other.

So it's from a late Latin verb built upon alter.

As with so much Latinate vocabulary in English, this word got filtered through French first.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Neos, I appreciate that you have given consideration to my critique. This is good. Open mindness is extremely important.

I would like you to consider something else: what is the source for these interpretations of etymology? You say here that, perhaps there is one of two direct Greek origins for "alter," for example, or a Latin origin. I insist (as I believe will the majority insist) that the Latin origin is the correct one.

How do I know this?

It is the source of my understanding. I can cite this reference from Webster (and countless others, including Latin dictionaries) that demonstrate the origin of "alter" :

*** http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/alter
Main entry: al·ter
Pronunciation:
\ˈȯl-tər\
Function:
verb
Inflected Form(s):
al·tered; al·ter·ing \-t(ə-)riŋ\
Etymology:
Middle English, from Medieval Latin alterare, from Latin alter other (of two); akin to Latin alius other — more at else

Date:
14th century
transitive verb
1 : to make different without changing into something else
2 : castrate, spay
intransitive verb
: to become different

This source and others confirm my "theory." What references (published, mind you, and formal) confirm your theory?
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Neos
Textkit Neophyte

To Lucus Eques

Post by Neos »

Thank you for your constructive comments and your polite manners.
Best regard
John Neos

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

I am sorry but I can't be polite to someone who makes a mockery of linguistics, shames Greeks and tells the world that there were people who had no word for i.e. "milk" until they got it from the Greeks I suppose. Or changed the word they had and adopted a word derived from the Greek.

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

IreneY wrote:I am sorry but I can't be polite
Sure you can! :) You just have to try a little harder! lol Remember the old saying about the flies and the honey and vinegar?
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

Homer: Well it's always in the last place you look.

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

Doesn't really work in this case and, in any case, I really can't. I lost my patience with such people long ago you see. It's sad.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Actually, Irene, I think he might have been genuinely thanking me for being polite. I hope I was polite anyway. :) It wasn't a sarcastic jibe at you, I don't think.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS