Folks, I need some serious help with this Latin

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
RickT
Textkit Neophyte

Folks, I need some serious help with this Latin

Post by RickT »

Hello everyone,

My name is Rick and I like to hunt and fish on the weekends at my cabin in South Carolina. But today I am stuck finishing my last Latin project before the summer.

I am in serious aid, and any help would be appreciated to this young and proud redneck from now until next weekend. Latin to English machine translators won't help though.

It is eight lines and will probably take a while for even the gurus of the gurus to do. Please help me out here gentlemen and gals.

Thanks in advance and maybe we can go hunting one day :wink: :

9 at quondam noctem simulacraque vana timebam;

10 mirabar, tenebris quisquis iturus erat:

11 risit, ut audirem, tenera cum matre Cupido

12 et leviter 'fies tu quoque fortis' ait.

13 nec mora, venit amor: non umbras nocte volantis,

14 non timeo strictas in mea fata manus;

15 te nimium lentum timeo, tibi blandior uni:

16 tu, me quo possis perdere, fulmen habes.

17 adspice (uti videas, inmitia claustra relaxa)

18 uda sit ut lacrimis ianua facta meis.

retypepassword
Textkit Neophyte

Post by retypepassword »

Read this: viewtopic.php?t=1225

To sum up, try showing us your attempts at translation, so that people can help you instead of doing your homework for you.

-Eric

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Salve Rick

I can help by hunting and fishing and that will leave you free to translate the Latin passage. Will you pay my flight to South Carolina? If you wouldn't mind, I'd also like to visit my brother-in-law in Greenville while I'm there.

In venando et piscando te juvare potero, quod tibi tempus sinet ut locum ex Latino in Anglicum convertas. Denumerabisne pro voluto meo in Carolinam Septentrionalem? Si tibi non molestum erit, dum ibi ero, apud fratrem uxoris in urbe Greenville me visitare voles.

Gylippus
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Folks, I need some serious help with this Latin

Post by Gylippus »

RickT wrote:Hello everyone,

My name is Rick and I like to hunt and fish on the weekends at my cabin in South Carolina. But today I am stuck finishing my last Latin project before the summer.

I am in serious aid, and any help would be appreciated to this young and proud redneck from now until next weekend. Latin to English machine translators won't help though.

It is eight lines and will probably take a while for even the gurus of the gurus to do. Please help me out here gentlemen and gals.

Thanks in advance and maybe we can go hunting one day :wink: :

9 at quondam noctem simulacraque vana timebam;

10 mirabar, tenebris quisquis iturus erat:

11 risit, ut audirem, tenera cum matre Cupido

12 et leviter 'fies tu quoque fortis' ait.

13 nec mora, venit amor: non umbras nocte volantis,

14 non timeo strictas in mea fata manus;

15 te nimium lentum timeo, tibi blandior uni:

16 tu, me quo possis perdere, fulmen habes.

17 adspice (uti videas, inmitia claustra relaxa)

18 uda sit ut lacrimis ianua facta meis.
Ovid's Amores is about as easy as it gets. What exactly are you having trouble with?