glottal stops in restored classical?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
TOCAMom
Textkit Neophyte

glottal stops in restored classical?

Post by TOCAMom »

I am confused about the correct pronunciation of consecutive vowels - I have several recordings (both from Cambridge University Press and Bolchazy-Carducci) that include a glottal stop between the two vowels in words like "mortuus" or "filii." But "Vox Latina" does not seem to mention an intervocalic glottal stop (I will cofess I've only browsed the book, not read it cover to cover).

I am willing to accept the glottal stop if it's correct, but it sounds awful. I speculate they use it in recordings to make the point that the vowels are separate syllables. Can anyone clarify?

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Your intuition is correct! No glottal stops.

This makes it sound as if the 'u' vowels in "mortuus" rather blend together — they do, to an extent. A sensitive ear can pick up the difference. But inscriptional evidence (e.g. "mortus") confirms that Roman ears also detected a natural blending. But yes, two short syllables.

Imagine, in sheet music, two tied quarter notes that bridge a measure. They have the same sound as a half note on the same pitch — but rhythmically it is important to separate them as quarter notes since they are not in the same measure. Latin is similar. Does that analogy help?
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

TOCAMom
Textkit Neophyte

re: intervocalic glottal stops

Post by TOCAMom »

You made my day!

I like your music metaphor and will remember it, although I was actually not having trouble pronouncing two syllables without a glottal stop - there is a nearly identical rule in Macedonian, which I speak fluently (for example, "they love" is "sakaat" - two flowing, musical syllables at the end with no intervocalic glottal stop). I was just struggling with its prevalence in recorded Latin. I will assume that is for the sake of clarity, but I still think it sounds awful.

Odd how important this question has become in our home.

cantator
Textkit Fan

Post by cantator »

Lucus Eques wrote:Imagine, in sheet music, two tied quarter notes that bridge a measure. They have the same sound as a half note on the same pitch — but rhythmically it is important to separate them as quarter notes since they are not in the same measure.
Say what ?!

Normally tied notes receive a single excitation (on the first event, of course), no secondary rhythmic emphasis takes place.

Replace "rhythmically" with "orthographically" and I'm with you. :)

In a word like mortuus the final vowels are both articulated, but I agree that a glottal stop is incorrect. The vowels can be elided without extinguishing the quantities. This is actually close to a notational phenomenon in certain works by Beethoven, where two tied notes each receive an articulation mark, something possible only with wind instruments or bowed strings. Is that what you had in mind ?

IIRC such words eventually contracted adjacent vowels into a single syllable in later Lain and its derivatives.
Similis sum folio de quo ludunt venti.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Okay, replace "rhythmically" with "scansion-wise." (Scansion is a part of Latin rhythmic considerations, natural rhythm in prose and in poetry.)

Cool on the Beethoven thing.

BTW: "IIRC"?

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Lucus Eques wrote:BTW: "IIRC"?
If I Recall Correctly.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

annis wrote:
Lucus Eques wrote:BTW: "IIRC"?
If I Recall Correctly.
Bingo. Thanks.

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

metrodorus
Textkit Fan

cum and quum

Post by metrodorus »

Interesting, this thread came up just as I was ruminating about how to render the difference between cum and quum, on the Latinum podcast. Even before I had seen this thread, I had decided that the difference would be very subtle indeed, just a very very slight flow-through, as c and qu (Allen's rendering of this is 'Kw') are in practical terms identical, with qu simply pronounced with a slight protrusion of the lips, (Allen) giving it a slight vowel quality, but I still wanted to distinguish them, although technically this isn't a full example of a doubled vowel. I am always conscious of Cicero's quote about the musicality of Latin when spoken. I don't believe I have rendered it properly yet, but I will get this subtle sound nailed down soon enough after a few dozen more attempts at pronouncing it....
Evan Millner

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Very interesting, Evan. Keep in mind that quum/cum has only one syllable, while "tuum" has two. That is, the arguments in this thread don't quite apply, altho it is an interesting tangent.

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

MsyGirl
Textkit Neophyte

Re: glottal stops in restored classical?

Post by MsyGirl »

Does this also apply to situations where it is not the same vowel. For example: dies - is that pronounced [dīes] or [dīʔes]?