Ex. 211

Are you learning Latin with D'Ooge's Beginners Latin Book? Here's where you can meet other learners using this textbook. Use this board to ask questions and post your work for feedback and comments from others.
vastor
Textkit Neophyte

Ex. 211

Post by vastor »

Salve,

I cannot understand the grammar of one of these sentences; specifically:
Vêrô, sed iî recûsâvêrunt frûmentum dare

Two problems; The nominative plural demonstrative 'ii'. It must be the personal pronoun 'they' because of the lack of agreeing noun which is a requirement of a demonstrative adjective. But, it's entirely unnecessary considering the subject has already been formerly established (townsmen), and the verb provides the person and number satisfactorily. Furthermore, the key translation includes an inexplicably objective pronoun 'him':

Yes, but they refused to give him grain.

Secondly, should the phrase 'to give grain' be interpreted as the direct object of the verb recuso as if it was a nominal phrase?

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Ex. 211

Post by thesaurus »

vastor wrote:Salve,

I cannot understand the grammar of one of these sentences; specifically:
Vêrô, sed iî recûsâvêrunt frûmentum dare

Two problems; The nominative plural demonstrative 'ii'. It must be the personal pronoun 'they' because of the lack of agreeing noun which is a requirement of a demonstrative adjective. But, it's entirely unnecessary considering the subject has already been formerly established (townsmen), and the verb provides the person and number satisfactorily. Furthermore, the key translation includes an inexplicably objective pronoun 'him':

Yes, but they refused to give him grain.

Secondly, should the phrase 'to give grain' be interpreted as the direct object of the verb recuso as if it was a nominal phrase?
Without being familiar with the context, it seems like a mistake: "ii" should be "ei," which would match the answer key, "they refused to give grain to him."

And I'd say "to give grain" is the object of recuso, though I understand it more easily by thinking of it in terms of "recuso + infinitive."

vastor
Textkit Neophyte

Post by vastor »

Thanks thesaurus, it makes sense now.