Textkit Logo

Self learning motivation for Greek

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Self learning motivation for Greek

Postby Dimitri » Wed May 14, 2008 12:21 pm

For those individuals learning Greek on their own as a self-study program, what study techniques keep you motivated to study?

thanks,
Dimitri
Dimitri
Textkit Neophyte

Postby jk0592 » Wed May 14, 2008 10:16 pm

I started about one and a half years ago. I am struggling now with volume 2 of Athenaze.

When I get tired of studying grammar, verbs and vocabulary, I keep my motivation by reading Herodotus, and trying to gauge my progress.
Jean K.
jk0592
Textkit Member

Postby vir litterarum » Wed May 14, 2008 11:37 pm

I would recommend a learning program that uses selections from ancient texts. As long as u are constantly referring to ancient authors as you teach yourself the language, you shouldn't become bored.
vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Postby Amadeus » Thu May 15, 2008 12:06 am

I don't have any techniques for keeping myself motivated. What motivates me just happens... I can be struggling for days with one passage from Rouse's book and be ready to quit, but then one word finally makes sense and everything else becomes clearer. Ahhh, what a good feeling that is! Or else, I can finish a terribly difficult chapter without any good sensation, but then the next one proves to be a piece of cake. Ahhh, that's like paradise! :) Anywho, why don't you grab yourself an easy Greek reader and go over it once you finish a lesson you thought was particulary difficult: it will probably make your studies less boring.

Keep going! :)
Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

Homer: Well it's always in the last place you look.
Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Postby Bert » Thu May 15, 2008 12:59 am

jk0592 wrote:I started about one and a half years ago. I am struggling now with volume 2 of Athenaze.

When I get tired of studying grammar, verbs and vocabulary, I keep my motivation by reading Herodotus, and trying to gauge my progress.

My experience is similar. When I get tired of memory work etc, I just read for a while. You still learn Greek, (better perhaps) but in a more enjoyable way.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Postby Dimitri » Thu May 15, 2008 12:06 pm

Thank you for all of your wonderful responses!

Dimitri
Dimitri
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Apollimagine » Thu May 15, 2008 4:50 pm

phpbb
Apollimagine
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek