Textkit Logo

SPIonic 'incomprehensible' on my machine

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

SPIonic 'incomprehensible' on my machine

Postby chiron2b » Sat May 31, 2003 2:28 pm

[face=SPIonic][size=18=12]i have windows 98, Explorer 6.0, and installed SPIonic. However, when I look at SPIonic, all words with 1 accent get separated into 2 words, with 2 accents to 3 words, etc.<br /><br />The quote below looks like this to me..<br /><br />r o dou dh e sti to xrw ma th s selh nhs th s e n th, xw rh sou;<br />(except with accents placed correctly over the letters)<br />*As you can see, having every word split up makes it impossible to distinguish where one word ends and the other begins!*<br /><br />Does anyone else have this problem? Or know how to fix the problem?<br /><br />Thanks[/face][/size]<br /><br />[quote author=William Annis link=board=12;threadid=100;start=0#416 date=1052404298]<br />[face=SPIonic]<br /><br />w)= Rai/a, <br /><br />r(o/dou dh/ e)sti to\ xrw=ma th=s selh/nhs th=s e)n th=| xw/rh| sou;<br /><br /><br />[/face]<br />[/quote]
phpbb
chiron2b
Textkit Neophyte

Re:SPIonic 'incomprehensible' on my machine

Postby Raya » Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:56 am

The display in Textkit is fine for me (I use Opera), but I get the same problem with separated words in MSN Messenger! No, I'm afraid I don't know any way around it... except to type Greek without the accents, I guess, but I don't suppose that's really an option...<br /><br />And - this is embarrassing :-[ - thanks chiron2b for pointing out that quotation from The Agora. It's addressed to me and all this time I didn't even know it was there... sorry William!
phpbb
Raya
Textkit Fan

Unwanted Spaces - Solution

Postby Elucubrator » Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:23 pm

You could write everything in Capital letters without the accents, and to be really authentic you wouldn't even have to use the space-bar. ;D<br /><br />Can you read this:<br /><br />[face=SPIonic]<br /><br /> 'AMADETHI'HMERAISUNELQONTES<br /> SORUKITO'NOZAMUAQEIOGHTARTS<br /> OUTEALLONPEMPOISHMANOUNTA'O<br /> OTIONIAFSOTUAETUONIEIOPHRXIT<br /> EDOCENOUNAUTOISSUSKEUASAME<br /> SWE'NEQSORPOTSIEIANEIORPSION<br /> KURWISUMICEIAN<br /><br />[/face]<br /><br />How does that work? ;D<br /><br />It's from Xenophon's Anabasis (II.1.2)<br /><br />Have fun, and watch the wrap. ;)<br /><br /><br />Sebastian
Elucubrator
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Lex » Sun Jun 01, 2003 7:33 pm

chiron2b,<br /><br />Have you tried another browser? I use IE5 and have no problems.
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!
Lex
Textkit Zealot

SPIonic 'incomprehensible' problem-- SOLVED!!

Postby chiron2b » Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:44 am

[face=SPIonic]If you are having trouble with the SPIonic font you found here....<br />

<br />Representing Greek - Font Notes for New Users<br />« on: May 12, 2003, 05:51:54 PM »<br />"For representing Greek on Textkit.com, we've basically settled on using the SPIonic font. You can get that here: http://www.ccel.org/help/fonts/. />

<br />[face=SPIonic][size=18=18]Good news!!You should check here for a different (and more recent) version of the font file..[/face]
<br /><br />http://www.monachos.net/other/fonts/get_greek_font.shtml<br /> (Site has font for Mac & Windows) 4Win-*Scroll down; Right Click link> Save Target> Install in c:\windows\fonts<br /><br />http://www.monachos.net/other/fonts/SPIONIC_.TTF<br /> *This 2nd link probably won't work, but I wanted to try. ---How do you use the ftp fuction, anyway?<br /><br />The first font file (ccel.org) did not work correctly with either my Explorer 6.0 nor my Netscape 7.01, but this second file helps me to read SPIonic on both browsers! = )<br /><br />All's well that ends well.<br />[/face][/size]
phpbb
chiron2b
Textkit Neophyte

Postby aprotosimaki » Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:50 am

Thanks,<br /><br />The New SPIONOIC font solved my problem too. I am using Windows XP and IE6 sp1<br /><br />aprotosimaki
phpbb
aprotosimaki
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Emma_85 » Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:26 pm

hope this question is not too stupid : how do i install a new font? i opened the control pannel, but there is no font icon on there at all (using xp). had problems finding the control pannel, too, lol, cause i don't have an english version of windows.<br />
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Bert » Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:53 am

Posted by: chiron2b Posted on: June 01, 2003, 11:44:35 PM <br /> <br />[face=SPIonic][size=18=4]Good news!!You should check here for a different (and more recent) version of the font file..<br /><br />http://www.monachos.net/other/fonts/get_greek_font.shtml<br /> (Site has font for Mac & Windows) 4Win-*Scroll down; Right Click link> Save Target> Install in c:\windows\fonts<br /> <br />
YES, IT WORKED! :) :) I can read it now. Thanks.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Greek