BRIEF, BRIEFING, BREVITY [English words of Greek origin)

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.

Was this post usefull in your effort to learn Greek?

Yes
10%
No
90%

Total votes: 10

Neos
Textkit Neophyte

BRIEF, BRIEFING, BREVITY [English words of Greek origin)

Post by Neos »

The word brief comes from the Latin brevis (short) that derives from the ancient Greek brahis (short).

From the same root: briefing, briefly, brevity, briefcase, briefness.

In modern Greek:
a) brahis: short
b) brahitis: shortness, brevity
c) brahino: to shorten, to cut down

brahis --> brevis --> brief

See the blog: English words of no apparent Greek origin at: http://ewonago.blogspot.com/
Last edited by Neos on Sun May 04, 2008 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re: BRIEF, BRIEFING, BREVITY [English words of Greek origin)

Post by annis »

William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Neos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Neos »

I would like to thank William Annis for his comments.
Instead of an answer, i would like to quote two paragraphs from the Preface of the "Etymological Dictionary of the Latin Language" by F. Valpy (London, 1828) concerning the relationship between Latin and Greek. - See below.
Thank you very much
With best regards
John Neos

PS. I tried to copy-paste the segment, but technically it was not possible to enter an image in the post. So i typed the segment. For those who do not have Greek fonts, i wrote the Greek words with Latin characters in parenthesis.

"But of what kind is that connection? Is that of mother and daughter, or of sister and sister? If it is of the former kind, then it is sufficient for the Etymologist to trace a Latin to a Greek word. If of the latter, he has gained but little by so doing, but must go on to some other language which produced both. The question then is of essential importance to the Etymologist.
Let me try the words Domus and Δόμος (Domos). Can we carry Domus any further back in Latin? – No. But we can carry Δόμος (Domos) further back in Greek, and can refer it to Δέμω (Demo), to build, whose perfect middle is Δέδομα (Dedoma). We may go perhaps further, and refer Δέμω (Demo) itself to Δέω (Deo), to bind, to bind together: the perfect passive of which is Δέδεμαι (Dedeme), hence is the word Δέμα (Dema). The Latin word Domus therefore is allied to the Greek language not as a sister, but as a daughter. Thus also Argentum can be traced no further in Latin. But in Greek is Α?γός (Argos), white; and Α?γήεις (Argeis), genitive Α?γήεντος (Argientos), Α?γήντος (Argintos), white. Tremo is from Τ?έμω (tremo), and Τ?έμω (Tremo) from Τ?έω (Treo), Τέτ?εμαι (Tetrame). So Pompa is from Πομπή (Pompe), this from Πέμπω (Pempo), Πέπομπα (Pepompa). Tragicus is from Τ?αγικός (Tragikos), this from Τ?άγος (Tragos). Poema is from Ποίημα (Poeema), this from Ποιέω (Poeeo), Πεποίημαι (Pepoeeme). In Latin we have no Demo, or Argeis in the sense of white, or Treo, or Pempo, or Tragus in the sense of a goat, or Poieo. Therefore the Latin is not a sister of the Greek, but proceeds from it, as a daughter from the mother. And the Latin Etymologist is justified in tracing a Latin to a Greek word – I speak not of Later Greek –and there leaving it, thinking that it then becomes the province of the Greek Etymologist to trace it further back in the Greek or to carry it on to some other language."
Last edited by Neos on Sun May 04, 2008 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Neos wrote:Instead of an answer, i would like to quote two paragraphs from the Preface of the "Etymological Dictionary of the Latin Language" by F. Valpy (London, 1828) concerning the relationship between Latin and Greek.
We should not be relying on works nearly two centuries old as etymological authorities. No modern historical linguist is going to accept Latin as the daughter language of Greek. The idea is completely indefensible.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Will is correct. To say that all Latin words derive from Greek is as silly as saying all Spanish words derive from Italian.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

You must be kidding! All words of all languages come from Greek. Haven't you seen my big fat Greek wedding where the father of the bride explains how "kimono" comes from "χειμών" ?

Edit. Found the quote:"Kimono, kimono, kimono. Ha! Of course! Kimono is come from the Greek word himona, is mean winter. So, what do you wear in the wintertime to stay warm? A robe. You see: robe, kimono. There you go!"

Misopogon
Textkit Member

Post by Misopogon »

Oh Irene you're great, I was thinking about the same film! Lol
:lol:

Regards
Misopogon

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

This is all besides the point, since Greek derives from Chinese anyways.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

Ouch! That "article" actually hurt! :lol: However I suspect the writer either wanted to prove that Chinese come from Greek or this is another "Atlantis mother of all civilizations" "proof"

Misopogon, I forgot to mention that according to Gus Portokalos "Miller" comes from "μήλο", "apple". I think I like that one more :D (I guess millers milled apples in England).

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

My brains hurt now.

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

Brain! That comes from Greek too. From "εμπ?ός" > "έμπ?οσθεν" since you can only go forward if you use your brains.