Textkit Logo

CAMPUS, CAMP, CAMPAIGN (English words of Greek origin)

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Was this post usefull in your effort to learn Greek?

Yes
20%
No
80%

Total votes : 5

CAMPUS, CAMP, CAMPAIGN (English words of Greek origin)

Postby Neos » Sat May 03, 2008 7:37 pm

The word campus comes from the Latin word campus (a plain, open field) that derives from the Greek word campos (from campe) [bend, turn(ing), curve]. It was used in Sicily to describe a plain, level place, an expanse surrounded by woods, higher ground, etc. from the notion of the circus or riding-course, the act of bending or turning round horses. First used in college sense at Princeton.

From the same root: camp, camper, campaign, campaigner.

In modern Greek:
Nouns:
a) campos: an open field, a level place, a valley
b) campe: bend, curve
c) campyle: curve, curved line
Verbs:
a) campto: to bend, curve
b) camptome: to give in, relent

campe --> campos --> campus / camp

See the blog: English Words of no Apparent Greek Origin at http://ewonago.blogspot.com/
Last edited by Neos on Sun May 04, 2008 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Neos
Textkit Neophyte

Postby vir litterarum » Sat May 03, 2008 10:04 pm

"campus" is not a derivative of "campos" but rather cognate with it: Both are derived from the same Proto-Indo-European root. It is important to make that distinction.
vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Postby Interaxus » Sat May 03, 2008 10:57 pm

The mention of horses made me think of hippocampus. My dictionary gives that word's etymology as: Gr. hippokampos - hippos=horse; kampos=a sea-monster. Does this kampos relate in any way to the campus under discussion?

Footnote: I can't find any kampos in my Pocket Oxford Classical Greek dictionary. :cry:

Cheers
Int
Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby IreneY » Sun May 04, 2008 2:08 am

Interaxus wrote:The mention of horses made me think of hippocampus. My dictionary gives that word's etymology as: Gr. hippokampos - hippos=horse; kampos=a sea-monster. Does this kampos relate in any way to the campus under discussion?

According to my dictionary the "etymon" of "kampos" of the word hippokampos is uncertain and is probably a loan-word

Footnote: I can't find any kampos in my Pocket Oxford Classical Greek dictionary. :cry:

Ah! That would be because you looked into a dictionary for the wrong "version" of Greek. According to my dictionary (Babiniotis, Dictionary of the Modern Greek language), the word "κάμπος" is medieval and comes from the Latin campus :wink:
IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Greek