Textkit Logo

How would you translate it

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

How would you translate it

Postby Banana tree » Thu May 01, 2008 2:38 pm

I found a very old book at the library yesterday with small Latin texts and I tought it would be good training for me to try to translate it although I only have studied Latin in my spare time for a couple of weeks. There are however no translations to the texts and so far there is one sentence which I am unsecure on how I should translate: Industria incolarum Italiae divitias parat. The inhabitants of Italy ... industry ... produce ... divitias. :roll: How would you translate it?
Banana tree
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Gonzalo » Thu May 01, 2008 2:48 pm

Hi,

I would say: The constancy of Italian people produces (lit. prepares) richness.

Regards,
Gonzalo
Last edited by Gonzalo on Thu May 01, 2008 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Verus enim amor semper tempore tristi elucescit magis. (Philipp Melanchthon: Decl. de studiis Linguæ Græcæ)
Quin age, si quid habes (P. Vergilii Maronis Ecloga III:52)
Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Gonzalo » Thu May 01, 2008 2:49 pm

...repeated
Verus enim amor semper tempore tristi elucescit magis. (Philipp Melanchthon: Decl. de studiis Linguæ Græcæ)
Quin age, si quid habes (P. Vergilii Maronis Ecloga III:52)
Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Banana tree » Thu May 01, 2008 3:00 pm

Oh, I asumed that industria meaned industry. I understand the sentence now. Thank you.
Banana tree
Textkit Neophyte

Postby thesaurus » Thu May 01, 2008 4:36 pm

Banana tree wrote:Oh, I asumed that industria meaned industry. I understand the sentence now. Thank you.

"Industry" is also a fine translation if you take it in its abstract sense, e.g., "captains of industry." Or "industriousness" would be another way.
thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Latin