Misquoting Jesus

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Johny Ze
Textkit Neophyte

Misquoting Jesus

Post by Johny Ze »

Hey everyone,
I was wondering if anyone has read the book "Misquoting Jesus," by Bart Ehrman, and what your general thoughts on it are? I know it's related specifically to the Bible, but I imagine a lot of what he refers to regarding textual criticism has relevance to classical texts in general as well. Anyhoo, just thought I'd ask!!

John

savarez
Textkit Neophyte

Post by savarez »

I have read _Misquoting Jesus_ as well as most of Ehrman's other works, including his courses from The Teaching Company (www.teach12.com). I have great respect for Ehrman and the scholarship of his work.

However, if you are looking for information that deals more specifically with the transmission of Greek and Latin Literature, _Scribes and Scholars_ by L. D. Reynolds is a better book that deals more with secular texts.

http://www.amazon.com/Scribes-Scholars- ... 000QJMCNS/

The book is pretty pricey though, but if you can find a used copy or check it out from your library, I think you will find it fascinating.