Textkit Logo

functional grammar

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

functional grammar

Postby vir litterarum » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:51 am

vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Re: functional grammar

Postby modus.irrealis » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:15 am

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Postby IreneY » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:21 pm

I haven't done any reading on the subject lately, and I must admit I am not veryfond of such scholarly examination of sentences in general, but this one intrigued me.
Could we be missing the topic all together though? (I include myself since I can find arguments for different words being the topic which I myself like a lot :D ). Could the overall topic be something like "the differences between Egyptians and others" and the topic of each phrase be something like "on the matter of X, Egyptians do this, others do Y". I admit this is my "chicken out" approach of the subject but it works, kind of.
IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Postby vir litterarum » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:50 am

vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Postby modus.irrealis » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:06 am

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Postby IreneY » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:47 am

Well, in these particular, antithetical sentences we either have to accept a double topic or make the "men/de" (or, in other words, my 'chickening out' approach :D ) the topic. They are sort of two in one arent' they? Or one in two if you wish. That's what I am getting at really. In other words, I would like a translation starting with "While" :lol:

Edit: By the way, going by instinct (or, in other words, going by Modern Greek), I'd say it's indeed "the other people" and "the Egyptians".
IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Greek