Subjunctive of EREW

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Subjunctive of EREW

Post by Bert »

Can someone tell me why the 1st person pl subjunctive of [size=150]ἐρέω is [size=150]ἐρείωμεν (Pharr section 158 line 3) and not [size=150]ἐρεύωμεν. Actually I don't even understand why it should be [size=150]ἐρεύωμεν. After the contraction of the Epsilon with the Omicron, why does the Omega still appear? Shouldn't it be part of [size=150]ευ, since it is the product of the contraction?

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Re:Subjunctive of EREW

Post by Paul »

Hi Bert,<br /><br />Several sources derive [size=150]ἐρείομεν (1.62) from the non-attested [size=150]μι verb [size=150]ἔρημι.<br /><br />Such non-thematic forms may form the subjunctive by adding the thematic vowel plus primary ending giving, in this case:<br /><br />[size=150]ἐρή‐ο‐μεν<br /><br />The Homeric manuscripts sometimes have [size=150]ει instead of the [size=150]η in the stem, whence [size=150]ἐρείομεν.<br /><br />See also the first person singular subjunctive [size=150]κιχήω at 1.26. Its 1st person plural can appear as [size=150]κιχείομεν or [size=150]κιχήομεν<br /><br />Cordially,<br /><br />Paul<br />

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Subjunctives in Epic are fun!<br /><br />Sometimes, and unpredictably as far as I can see, some verbs with a vowel stem may, at the whim of the poet, lengthen the stem vowel. This shows up in my aorist article, too, where the standard subjunctive is [size=150]γνῶ, but Homer can say [size=150]γνώω when he needs a spondee.<br /><br />This same thing happens to some other verbs, as here.<br /><br />(Homeric scholars still get into fights about whether [size=150]βείω or [size=150]βήω is the actual subjunctive Homer used. Due to peculiarities in the first alphabet Homer was recorded in this isn't entirely clear.)<br /><br />You might want to hunt down either Cunliffe's or Autenrieth's dictionaries. They're not expensive, and I know you're planning to move on to NT, but Cunliffe in particular is good about pointing out all the different things that can happen to a little verb in Epic.<br /><br />
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

And if you can't find them, Autenrieth's dictionary is on Perseus.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Thanks. <br />Bert.