Typing

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Misopogon
Textkit Member

Typing

Post by Misopogon »

Like most of you, I use a computer everyday in the work place, at home, for studying and for pleasure. I wrote my master thesis on the computer and I consider it essential for any scientific work. That said, in the last few months I've started writing a diary - I mean handwriting - and I get the impression that the medium (computer, typewriter or pen) is not neutral, that it influences the style and structure of writing. I have no evidence of that, just an impression. I'd like to know what do you think about and if you have any reference.
Regards
Misopogon

P.S. As always, I apologise for my poor English

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

I've tried to break myself of the computer habit from time to time, but I always go back to typing. I'm a much faster while typing, my hands don't cramp up, and my handwriting is not pretty. However, I think not being able to continually revise your writing makes one more thoughtful and productive. Typing has probably affected people's perceptions of the 'permanence' of their works. If you can go back and immediately revise what you've written/published online, it never seems like you've really 'finished' something until you print it off. I don't know if that's bad, but it's different.

I never really learned how to write in cursive, so when I do now it is slow and arduous. I know it's shallow, but I'd like to have elegant handwriting. When I do get around to writing in a journal, I like to use Moleskine notebooks, just because they're so damned attractive!

Misopogon, ma molto bene scrivi l'Inglese! Se non ho già saputo che tu sia Italiano, penserei che l'Inglese sia il tua lingua nativa. (Mi scusi per il mio Italiano povero!)

easternugget
Textkit Neophyte

Post by easternugget »

I am the opposite. I find typing more permanent in my mind than handwriting. I can think better when I handwrite things so I often like to start papers writing it out by hand, but typing is faster.