A Greek-Latin Lexicon

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
bedwere
Global Moderator

A Greek-Latin Lexicon

Post by bedwere »

I would like to see a Greek-Latin lexicon available on Textkit. For example the Lexicon manuale Græco-Latinum et Latino-Græcum
by Cornelis Schrevel or the one by Benjamin Hederich.
I checked the files on Google Books, searched the Internet far and wide, and went to the UCSD library and looked there too: all the scanned books I found have some illegible pages (or at least words) and basically are not up to Textkit standards.
I think that having a Greek-Latin lexicon would be an excellent tool for those advanced students of Latin who wish also to learn Greek. Thinking in Latin is a big advantage when studying Greek, given the many similarities shared by these two beautiful languages and the availability of a lexicon would provide very useful. It would have a synergy effect, because the students would become more proficient in the two languages in the same amount of time.

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

One of these may help, I'm not sure which you've seen:

Cornelii Schrevelii Lexicon manuale græco-latinum et latino-græcum

Lexicon manuale Græco-Latinum et Latino-Græcum By Cornelis Schrevel

Hederich's Novum lexicon manuale Graeco-Latinum et Latino-Graecum

The Hederich looks like a great scan, but has only 1 of what appear to 4 volumes, but the Schrevel scans look OK compared to some of the things on Google Books (the first being fairly light, but better than the second, with the second maybe being able to fill in any gaps in the first). At 650+ pages of tiny type, I doubt you'll find anyone too excited about manually rescanning it. Plus Jeff would need a physical copy to start with.

We've also found that Google is responsive to comments about image quality. There is a textbook by Adler that several people use here. There were several pages in the scan that were unreadable. People gave feedback and they did eventually get replaced with new scans. I'm not sure if they re-did the whole book or just the bad pages.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

I already had those texts in my private library. :D I noticed that the pdf files of the Schrevel books are actually worse than what the display shows, at least on my screen. For example, download the pdf of the 1832 edition and compare p. 28 of the pdf with p. 21 of the on-line viewer. You may guess the word in the top left corner in the on-line viewer, but that's no way in the pdf, which is the one you print.
As for the Hederich, I agree it is a great, clean copy. What Google has seems to be a complete Latin-Greek lexicon from A to Z. I found at the library the Greek-Latin but it's the usual bad scan. :(