How do you speak latin?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
latinloverfolife
Textkit Neophyte

How do you speak latin?

Post by latinloverfolife »

I want to learn to speak Latin. Does anyone know how? Please tell me. I really want to know. :twisted:

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

I got to speaking Latin after reading Lingua Latina and Conversational Latin by John Traupman.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: How do you speak latin?

Post by bedwere »

latinloverfolife wrote:I want to learn to speak Latin. Does anyone know how? Please tell me. I really want to know. :twisted:
I learned from the Cursus Linguae Latinae Vivae. It uses the Ecclesiastical Italianate pronunciation I prefer. :)

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

bedwere wrote: I learned from the Cursus Linguae Latinae Vivae. It uses the Ecclesiastical Italianate pronunciation I prefer. :)
Those are some wonderful looking resources. I wouldn't mind having "De Imitatione Christi" to listen to. How do you find the quality of recordings? Are they cassettes? It's probably too much to ask from such a small group, but if they were to offer digitized versions of their texts/recordings I'd be more willing to buy them.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

thesaurus wrote:
Those are some wonderful looking resources. I wouldn't mind having "De Imitatione Christi" to listen to. How do you find the quality of recordings? Are they cassettes? It's probably too much to ask from such a small group, but if they were to offer digitized versions of their texts/recordings I'd be more willing to buy them.
Yes, they are cassettes. I digitized the whole course for my own benefit, since I wanted to listen to it during my commute to work. The quality is mostly OK, some parts are not so great but I can always understand the words.
By the way, the best way to learn to speak Latin is ... to speak it! :D
That's why I attended the Cenaculum last year and I've already booked for this year's Cenaculum in Mobile, AL. (The Cenaculum is the meeting of the Familia Sancti Hieronymi, where we speak in Latin).

metrodorus
Textkit Fan

Speaking Latin

Post by metrodorus »

You need to listen to lots of spoken Latin.
Adler's textbook is possibly the best resource still for conversational Latin.
There is also a new resource of video conversations from the University of Kentucky.
My latinum podcast might possibly interest you as well - it has had over one million audio file downloads to date, so some people do find it helpful.
http://latinum.mypodcast.com