Ancient Greek words for things unknown to ancient Greece?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

I don't think this needs a special area. Here or on the composition forum would both be great places for such a discussion. The AKWN site you list is always my first visit when worrying about modern vocabulary. It might be nice to subject his list to unicodification at some point.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Swth\r
Textkit Fan

Post by Swth\r »

Dives qui sapiens est...

Bombichka
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bombichka »

sometimes, an -s- occurs at the end of the stem without any etymological reason. especially in verbal derivates.

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

I was looking for something completely different but sometimes you do have to love search engines' irrelevant results. Thisone is in modern Greek but the articles in the middle are in ancient Greek. Since I am still looking for that something else I don't have time to check it so it might not be the best but I bet you can find an idea or two in there.

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

Well, with the same logic, "κ??ος" also (if not mainly) means "cold" so your verb is also "inaccurate" :) What's wrong with the original verb (mind you, we've actually got to make a new verb "παγώνω" but I think it has nothing to do with the original's descriptive powers but with the way our language developed :D )

cb
Textkit Zealot

Post by cb »

hi, for frozen rivers, a ref that came straight to mind was from near the start of Aristophanes' Acharnians, see lines 138-140. Is that what you meant or something else? That's from within the canon of famous texts; I assume there would be other refs in texts I have not read. cheers :)

Swth\r
Textkit Fan

Post by Swth\r »

Bombichka wrote:sometimes, an -s- occurs at the end of the stem without any etymological reason. especially in verbal derivates.
This is in deed the truth.
Anthony Appleyard wrote:I was wondering what words or expressions Ancient Greeks used to describe the freezing of water.
You can check these in a lexicon:

πήγνυμι-πήγνυμαι
πηγάς (-άδος)
πῆγμα
πηγός
πηγυλίς
πηκτός-πηκτή
Dives qui sapiens est...