Bradley's Arnold Composition thread

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Rufus Gulielmus
Textkit Neophyte

Bradley's Arnold Composition thread

Post by Rufus Gulielmus »

Salvete, amici!

I don't know how many of you have used Bradley's Arnold Latin Prose Composition, but it's what I have chosen to guide me through the wonders of Latin composition.

The idea of this thread is modeled on those that I have seen for texts like Lingua Latina where the original poster maps his progress/asks for help on certain tricky bits--and the members of Textkit so generously offer their help :)

Help/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Here's what I have so far:

1. I have been elected consul by the votes of the Roman people; you are favored by the enemies of the human race.

Consul suffragiīs popul?rum Roman?rum factus sum; tibi ab hostibus humanī favētur.

2. The town had now been blockaded for three days; it was taken by assault on the fourth day.

Oppidum trēs diēs nunc obsessum erat; quattuor diē expugnatum est.

I'm a little concerned about the switching of tenses in the second sentence, i.e., moving from pluperfect passive (obsessum erat) to perfect passive (expugnatum est). Are my doubts well-founded?

Valete!
Rufus

Didymus
Textkit Fan

Re: Bradley's Arnold Composition thread

Post by Didymus »

Rufus Gulielmus
Textkit Neophyte

Salve, Didyme!

Thanks for the comments!

1. There is more than one Roman, so I used the genitive plural. Is this wrong?

2. That's a very good point about using "fourth" vs. "four"--gotta love those little goofs :)

Also, I'm aware of missing some of the macrons. I just put in that I thought were most important, but I realize it's important to get in the habit of knowing where they all are. Maybe I should think of them as a necessary part of spelling...

Vale!
Rufus

Didymus
Textkit Fan

Post by Didymus »

Rufus Gulielmus wrote: 1. There is more than one Roman, so I used the genitive plural. Is this wrong?
There is more than one Roman, but only one populus Romanus. Populus is a collective noun.

Rufus Gulielmus
Textkit Neophyte

Ah, yes--thank you very much!

Have you used Bradley's Arnold yourself?

Rufus

Didymus
Textkit Fan

Post by Didymus »

Rufus Gulielmus wrote:Have you used Bradley's Arnold yourself?
I have indeed. It is much to be recommended.