Textkit Logo

How do you speak latin?

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Moderators: thesaurus, Jeff Tirey

How do you speak latin?

Postby latinloverfolife » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:27 am

I want to learn to speak Latin. Does anyone know how? Please tell me. I really want to know. :twisted:
latinloverfolife
Textkit Neophyte
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:20 am

Postby Lucus Eques » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:50 pm

I got to speaking Latin after reading Lingua Latina and Conversational Latin by John Traupman.
User avatar
Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot
 
Posts: 2001
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:52 pm
Location: Tōkyō, IAPONIA

Re: How do you speak latin?

Postby bedwere » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:32 am

latinloverfolife wrote:I want to learn to speak Latin. Does anyone know how? Please tell me. I really want to know. :twisted:


I learned from the Cursus Linguae Latinae Vivae. It uses the Ecclesiastical Italianate pronunciation I prefer. :)
User avatar
bedwere
Textkit Enthusiast
 
Posts: 455
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: Didacopoli in California

Re: How do you speak latin?

Postby thesaurus » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:08 pm

bedwere wrote:I learned from the Cursus Linguae Latinae Vivae. It uses the Ecclesiastical Italianate pronunciation I prefer. :)


Those are some wonderful looking resources. I wouldn't mind having "De Imitatione Christi" to listen to. How do you find the quality of recordings? Are they cassettes? It's probably too much to ask from such a small group, but if they were to offer digitized versions of their texts/recordings I'd be more willing to buy them.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute
thesaurus
Textkit Zealot
 
Posts: 985
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:44 pm

Re: How do you speak latin?

Postby bedwere » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:14 pm

thesaurus wrote:
Those are some wonderful looking resources. I wouldn't mind having "De Imitatione Christi" to listen to. How do you find the quality of recordings? Are they cassettes? It's probably too much to ask from such a small group, but if they were to offer digitized versions of their texts/recordings I'd be more willing to buy them.


Yes, they are cassettes. I digitized the whole course for my own benefit, since I wanted to listen to it during my commute to work. The quality is mostly OK, some parts are not so great but I can always understand the words.
By the way, the best way to learn to speak Latin is ... to speak it! :D
That's why I attended the Cenaculum last year and I've already booked for this year's Cenaculum in Mobile, AL. (The Cenaculum is the meeting of the Familia Sancti Hieronymi, where we speak in Latin).
User avatar
bedwere
Textkit Enthusiast
 
Posts: 455
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: Didacopoli in California

Speaking Latin

Postby metrodorus » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:41 am

You need to listen to lots of spoken Latin.
Adler's textbook is possibly the best resource still for conversational Latin.
There is also a new resource of video conversations from the University of Kentucky.
My latinum podcast might possibly interest you as well - it has had over one million audio file downloads to date, so some people do find it helpful.
http://latinum.mypodcast.com
metrodorus
Textkit Fan
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:19 pm


Return to Open Board

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 39 guests