Johannine reading group - interested?

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
johnkn63
Textkit Neophyte

Johannine reading group - interested?

Post by johnkn63 »

Dear All,

I would be interested in a Koine reading group aimed at people who have covered at some point in time the basics of Koine Greek and wish to use what they have learnt.

The writings of John would be a good starting point, and if there is intereset from others, I would be happy to co-ordinate in a Johannine reading group. The aim of the group would be to enable the members to read John's gospel, 1 John, 2 John, 3 John and Revelations ( the reading group will not go through in this order) .

The pace would be designed to allow people who can participate 2 or 3 hours a week to benefit. Reading assignments would consist of a passage of approximately 100 to150 words per week, of which section(s) containing about 60 words of easier text will be the required reading for the week and 7 of these words required parsing. 3 ice-breaker questions will be posted at the start of each week, and all participants are encoraged to post their own questions on the passage of the week for general discussion. There will be no passage assigned every seventh week to allow participants to either rest or catch up.

Regards
John

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

As long as it doesn't start till about mid May, I'd be interested.
Thanks.

johnkn63
Textkit Neophyte

Post by johnkn63 »

Dear Bert,

as you were one of those who expressed an interest in studying a New Testament book in January I will certainly bear this in mind. One aim of the group is to allow those of us who are quite busy to use what we have learnt.

Setting up the group will take a few weeks, the detailed schedule has yet to be set. The reading will also be designed to allow, people to join even once it had started.

One possible schedule would be to start with a selected dialogues from John in chapters 1 , 3 and 4 as a warm up, followed by starting I john in the summer and finishing 1 John by Christmas.

Yours sincerely
John

Johny Ze
Textkit Neophyte

Interested

Post by Johny Ze »

Ok, I'm going to pop out of the woodwork, and say I'm interested! I've decided to take up Mounce's Basics full steam, and this would be the kind of thing I'd like to do to keep my Greek up! Let me know when it starts!

johnkn63
Textkit Neophyte

Post by johnkn63 »

Dear Johhny Ze

I will certainly let you know when it starts.

Hopefully the reading group can fill a gap between the studying of Greek grammar groups and the advanced reading groups.

Wtach this space!

John Knightley