Primer of Medieval Latin (?)

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
CanadianGirl
Textkit Fan

Primer of Medieval Latin (?)

Post by CanadianGirl »

Hi-Is anybody familiar with Beeson's "Primer of Medieval Latin?" I heard it recommended by a professor, who then added that it's been out of print for ages. Does it have some good readings, plus an intro etc? Want to be sure it's a good investment before I try to track it down. Excuse me if this has been asked before! Thanks - Paige.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Primer of Medieval Latin (?)

Post by bedwere »

CanadianGirl wrote:Hi-Is anybody familiar with Beeson's "Primer of Medieval Latin?" I heard it recommended by a professor, who then added that it's been out of print for ages. Does it have some good readings, plus an intro etc? Want to be sure it's a good investment before I try to track it down. Excuse me if this has been asked before! Thanks - Paige.
I have no idea, but it seems quite inexpensive

timeodanaos
Textkit Fan

Post by timeodanaos »

If you want a new book rather, you could buy 'Reading Medieval Latin' by Keith Sidwell on Cambridge University Press.
I have the book, and although I haven't used it, it seems to be a nice deal, comprising a load of texts from different eras, different genres, everything with glosses and explanations of tough places, and in the back, there's a list of grammatical differences between classical Latin and medieval.
I bought it in London two years ago for 20£, 380-something pages paperback.

paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Latin Primer

Post by paulusnb »

You can buy Beeson's Primer from Amazon or Barnes and Noble. I just bought it a few months ago. It is around 15 dollars. The selection of stories is great. I use it for tests in my class. The notes and dictionary, however, are useless.