Introduction

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
w3lloyd07
Textkit Neophyte

Introduction

Post by w3lloyd07 »

Hello all,

I'm warren and have just joined the Textkit community with the hopes of, as you would guess, getting a basic handle on Latin. I'm a Gradutate student in English at University of Buffalo, just beginning a thesis. I'm primarily a scholar of Contemporary American Langauge poetry, but recently have been pursuing, quite the counter-intuitive path of a newly discovered love in Medieavl English Literature. Well, needless to say, I'd like to be able to accomplish my own manuscript translations and not have to always take author's words for it through long listings of Latin footnotes. I look forward to this stimulating forum and I'd like to finish with a couple of questions:

1-- I just read a posting that linked me to one of the best audio websites of Olde English I've ever experienced-- Thanks to who ever that was!! But I was wondering if anyone else knows of any other sites out there that collect audio recordings of vernacular stroytellers, myths and legends???
:?:

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Hi, welcome!

I wonder if this would help:
http://faculty.virginia.edu/OldEnglish/ ... dings.html

and Amazon.com sells Beowulf in Anglo-Saxon CD:
http://www.amazon.com/Beowulf-Trevor-Ea ... 647&sr=8-2

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

Salve Amice!

I'm also a graduate student in English literature, so it's exciting to see another. I'll probably be starting at Penn State this Fall. I'm mostly interested in 19th century British literature, but I'm developing a strong interest in the medieval and renaissance at present... in addition to Classical literature. So props for counter-intuitive paths! I'm excited to take some Anglo-Saxon literature courses, because Latin and Old English were really hand in hand for a while.

PS If your interest in Latin is mostly concerned with the Medieval era, you're Latin preparation should be a lot easier (in comparison to Classical Roman literature, that is). The Anglo-Latin texts I've read have been very easy to read. However, I would definitely encourage you to fully expand the scope of your Latin as long as you're going to invest the time in it. Will you be learning independently or taking classes?

w3lloyd07
Textkit Neophyte

Thanks

Post by w3lloyd07 »

Hello,

Thanks for the warm reply. Its nice to feel welcome and even better to learn that I'm in good company! I love British Literature-- do you like any contmep. British Poetry? . And to answer question I'll mostly be learning from the tutorials at first. But maybe this summer, after finals, I might be able to get a class in, who knows...

Best for now,

Warren

" The stars are eating"
-- Artaud