Latinum users - comments and criticism requested

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
metrodorus
Textkit Fan

Latinum users - comments and criticism requested

Post by metrodorus »

Hello,

Latinum is nearing its first anniversary, and within a week or so it will pass its millionth audio file download (hard to believe, but true). As some of you know, Latinum has its origins here on Textkit, and was a direct outcome of the long running 'latin audio' thread.

I've had some feedback over the year, but now that some people have been using the podcast for an extended period of time, I would be interested in more detailed feedback from users who have used the lessons.

I have changed the way I present episodes in response to your feedback, both positive and negative, so your comments are very useful.

For example, I've been asked to make additional Latin-only episodes with no time gaps at all in them, for revision of each of the chapters and exercises. I have made these, but not yet uploaded any, as I want to use them a while first to see if they have utility. It seems as though they will be useful. I will also re-record some of the earlier episodes for this purpose first, as some of the earlier episodes suffered from being made with a poorer microphone than my present one, and a slower computer. However, my first priority, is to plough on through the textbook. There is a long way yet to go, at least another year, I estimate.

So, if you're using Latinum, please drop your comments here, and let me know how you're getting on.

Metrodorus

bellumbellum
Textkit Neophyte

Post by bellumbellum »

I am fairly new here and have yet to come across this "Latinum," where can I find it?

metrodorus
Textkit Fan

Latinum

Post by metrodorus »

Latinum can be found here:

http://latinum.mypodcast.com

Enjoy.

Metrodorus

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

I for one love it. I feel guilty for not studying Latin more, it's been weeks! However when I do the things on the site are helping, particularly the "Masters" section.

Plus I often have the chapter on declensions and tenses playing. Is there a chart that shows how tenses change btw?

metrodorus
Textkit Fan

Tense Paradigms

Post by metrodorus »

I've not made more 'learn from the masters' recordings, though they are easy to make, and a good way to learn latin texts by rote, which is useful to do, as it builds up a corpus of text in your brain, which then your brain can make inferences from. This speeds up learning.

I'll make some more. I have some more Catullus poems that could be treated effectively in this way, and some Cicero.

Adler in his intro actually recommends the memorization of all the exercises. A steep order, but one that would indeed make the Latin truly internalised.

Adler has some very nice and succinct tense paradigms from page 663 onward. The textbook is, of course, linked from the mypodcast site.

Bretonus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bretonus »

I love Latinum, it was the perfect way (for me at least) to easily establish familiarity with Latin before I jumped into the grammar texts. It is also very addictive, I find myself never watching tv when I'm alone. I couldn't, with such ease, use the Adler text.

Being my first year in university I thought about taking a Latin course next year but was afraid I would not be able to keep up with it. It is great for learning without applying any energy towards it every step of the way, unless I wish to. I will without a doubt apply for the small first year Latin class next year.

While doing my school work I listen to the podcast. When I'm working I put on Virgil, Catullus, Horace, etc. and just let it play without focusing. If I wish to relax, being an avid gamer, I mute my games and listen to part B, C or D of already covered, or new material. Later I will learn the grammar when I want to focus.

I could never have went through the tedious task of learning declensions without the podcast. Through Latinum's convenient mention on wiki I eventually found my way here and was able to find my two other preferred texts, which are Lingua Latina and D'Ooge.

Episodes without gaps in them, for review, would be very helpful but, if it's too much work, part C is sufficient. Before proceeding too far I must be able to hear all the Latin and know what it means without thinking about it. This would make memorizing a little quicker. However lately I have been pushing to go a little quicker, because I want to cover verbs more.

What program do you use to record with? I wish to make a personal stash of Lingua Latina audio files for myself and don't know what is the cheapest and easiest for this. Or for that matter, what programs are good to modify audio files? I want to play with a few I downloaded from Latinum, for example cut the English out of Lactantius.

metrodorus
Textkit Fan

Recording

Post by metrodorus »

I use Audacity.
It works well when all other programs on the computer are closed while recording - and I have a very fast processor, and 4GB of RAM.

I now use a Samson C01U microphone, which works very well.

Have fun recording.
It really is a good way of learning - recording and listening to yourself. Keeps one on ones toes.

metrodorus
Textkit Fan

Vocabulary resources

Post by metrodorus »

I have been working on vocabulary resources for Latinum - these new resources can be found under the heading "Vocabulary Building".
http://latinum.mypodcast.com

A comprehensive vocabulary is in the process of being presented, organized by semantic field. This makes it much easier to learn the vocabulary, as one can organize an imaginary scene in one's head that contains most of the imagery needed to connect the vocabulary to.
The longest session of these is 20 minutes, some of the larger semantic fields - such as that for military matters, have been split into two sections. Some of the shorter ones are only a couple of minutes long. To date, I have uploaded a total of 30 of these vocabulary acceleration learning units. There will be a total of 50 in this series.

I have also added specially tailored vocabulary building files for GCSE Latin students.

Evan.
[/url]