Pre-World War American English Orthography

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
quendidil
Textkit Member

Pre-World War American English Orthography

Post by quendidil »

I've been reading a few pre-WW (both) American English texts lately, and I seem to have found spellings of some words that would now be deemed chiefly British.
E.g.
learnt
spelt
honour
analyse

Of course, I know the -ize for Latin roots was common across the Atlantic until recently, but "learnt" and "honour" have been used only in the Commonwealth since America's independence if I'm not mistaken. Can anyone explain the presence of these forms?

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Re: Pre-World War American English Orthography

Post by Bert »

quendidil wrote:I've been reading a few pre-WW (both) American English texts lately, and I seem to have found spellings of some words that would now be deemed chiefly British.
E.g.
learnt
spelt
honour
analyse

Of course, I know the -ize for Latin roots was common across the Atlantic until recently, but "learnt" and "honour" have been used only in the Commonwealth since America's independence if I'm not mistaken. Can anyone explain the presence of these forms?
I don't think that right after independence American spelling changed. The British spelling and the American spelling each must have developed and grew apart.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

quendidil wrote:I've been reading a few pre-WW (both) American English texts lately, and I seem to have found spellings of some words that would now be deemed chiefly British.
E.g.
learnt
spelt
honour
analyse

I'd lean towards an imitation of British spellings (and pronunciation in the case of "spelt") as the chief cause — most "American" spellings were established since Noah Webster ~1800. "Analyse," of course, is not an "-ize" verb, but merely the correct spelling ("analyze" is a long used mispelling).
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

Voxforascausa
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Voxforascausa »

Bert wrote:
E.g.
learnt
spelt
honour
analyse

I don't think that right after independence American spelling changed. The British spelling and the American spelling each must have developed and grew apart.
If you look at scans of the constitution, you will see that they do use some American English spellings (they also seem to like to use Long S). I have not seen a clear copy of the Declaration, however. The spellings might have started to diverge several decades before during colonial times.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Heh, I also like to use long S, as you call it.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS