Key for Bradley's Arnold Latin Prose Composition

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Key for Bradley's Arnold Latin Prose Composition

Post by vir litterarum »

A key for Bradley's Arnold's Latin Prose Composition is listed on Amazon.com, but it is currently unavailable. Does anyone know where I could purchase one of these?

Patruus
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Key for Bradley's Arnold Latin Prose Composition

Post by Patruus »

vir litterarum wrote:A key for Bradley's Arnold's Latin Prose Composition is listed on Amazon.com, but it is currently unavailable. Does anyone know where I could purchase one of these?
Follow the link in this post: http://tinyurl.com/27kl9s

JP

Kyneto Valesio
Textkit Fan

Post by Kyneto Valesio »

I spent a few minutes looking over the composition keys. The problem for me is that I cannot imagine that I would personally wish to say such things. I don't suppose composition manuals were ever written for persons not wishing to rewrite Caesar's account of the Gallic wars. Is this why Latin lies prostrate among the arts? Have any modern professors written composition manuals for persons wishing to write about relationships, scientific discoveries, the economy, healthcare reform etc.

vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Post by vir litterarum »

Thank you so much for the link, Patruus. I was at my whit's end as to where to locate one of these.

Interaxus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Interaxus »

Same question arose last year. It was Patruus who solved the problem then too.

He posted a link (it still works!) to a TEXT-FILE with the answers, which is very nice (though without the texts). I relocated the thread in question using Textkit’s excellent Search function:

viewtopic.php?t=6580&highlight=bradleys+arnold

In the same thread Didymus (great Bradley fan!) floats the idea of forming a group of Bradley fans to compare solutions.

He was also thinking of posting online his personal macron-marked version (when he ‘felt energetic’). That would be nice too!

Cheers,
Int

Didymus
Textkit Fan

Post by Didymus »

Interaxus wrote: In the same thread Didymus (great Bradley fan!) floats the idea of forming a group of Bradley fans to compare solutions.

He was also thinking of posting online his personal macron-marked version (when he ‘felt energetic’). That would be nice too!

Cheers,
Int
This offer still stands, more or less. I'd probably have to wait until early May, but if we could get a few people together I'd be happy to give it a shot.

vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Post by vir litterarum »

I am going to begin working through the exercises at the beginning of June, but, if you wished to wait until then, I would be interested in participating in such a group.

Rufus Gulielmus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Rufus Gulielmus »

I see that this thread is from about a month or so ago, but I couldn't help but chime in...

I would definitely be into the idea of some sort of Bradley's Arnold group.

Rufus

Iacobus de Indianius
Textkit Neophyte

Re:

Post by Iacobus de Indianius »

Kyneto Valesio wrote:I spent a few minutes looking over the composition keys. The problem for me is that I cannot imagine that I would personally wish to say such things. I don't suppose composition manuals were ever written for persons not wishing to rewrite Caesar's account of the Gallic wars. Is this why Latin lies prostrate among the arts? Have any modern professors written composition manuals for persons wishing to write about relationships, scientific discoveries, the economy, healthcare reform etc.
Funny. I just stumbled onto this thread after reading "A Real Basis for Latin Composition,"Jefferson Elmore. The School Review, Vol. 18, No. 3 (Mar., 1910), pp. 159-165. Given the similarity of your complaints and the 100 year span separating them, I guess we can't look forward to a Latin composition book that teaches students to write Latin relevant to daily experiences.

I'm going to give Bradley's Arnold anyway.

leisulin
Textkit Member

Re: Key for Bradley's Arnold Latin Prose Composition

Post by leisulin »

I made a similar response to a related post: people I think have said that there exists a key to the 125 "Passages For Translation" in the appendix of Bradley's Arnold Latin Prose Composition. The reprint of the Key from Cambridge University Press issued in 2010 only contains answers for the 67 main exercises, and lacks answers for the "Passages For Translation".

If anyone still has access to the answers to those, or can direct me to where I can find them, I'd really appreciate it, since I'm working through the book on my own, and need as much help as I can get.

Thanks!