substantive usage of the participle in Herodotos

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

substantive usage of the participle in Herodotos

Post by vir litterarum »

τὰ μέν νυν ἓξ ἔτεα τῶν ἕνδεκα Σαδυάττης ? Ἄ?δυος ἔτι Λυδῶν ἦ?χε, ? καὶ ?σβάλλων τηνικαῦτα ?ς τὴν Μιλησίην τὴν στ?ατιήν: Σαδυάττης οὗτος γὰ? καὶ ? τὸν πόλεμον ἦν συνάψας:

Can a participle used substantively be separated from its article by ἦν? Or is the participle συνάψας not being used substantively here?

Rindu
Textkit Member

Post by Rindu »

No, it isn't substantive. It is modifying Saduattes. "This Saduattes was the one who took up..."

vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Post by vir litterarum »

But translating it as "the one who took up" is still translating the participle as a substantive in predicate relation to Saduattes.

Didymus
Textkit Fan

Re: substantive usage of the participle in Herodotos

Post by Didymus »

vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Post by vir litterarum »

Thanks for the reference. I haven't found any references in Smyth to this issue, and, as you stated, I think it is relatively rare.

Rindu
Textkit Member

Post by Rindu »

But it isn't a substantive if it is modifying another noun. Then it is a predicate adjective.

vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Post by vir litterarum »

It's not modifying another noun. It's functioning as a predicate noun, not as a predicate adjective, i.e. "...for this Saduattes is the one also having commenced the war."