Contents Ch. 1 - 15 of "Lingua Latina"

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
anantah
Textkit Neophyte

Contents Ch. 1 - 15 of "Lingua Latina"

Post by anantah »

Dear all,

I just learned that in the city where I'm actually living, there is a course of Latin using Orberg's "Lingua Latina". I have written to ask the teacher for details, and they have already got to Ch. 15 - so nearly half of the first book. Although I have taught my self some 10 Chapters of Wheelock's and later restarted with D'Ooge's for about 20 lessons, I'm not at all sure if it's possible to catch up with the other students because I've almost forgotten what I have learned some years ago.

But it is really good chance to have such a course, and I still want to have a try. I know here many people use this method, so could you please tell me which grammatical points are covered in the first 15 chapters(as I don't have the book yet)? And what's your idea about what I'm planning to do(will it be mission impossible or not)? I hope you will share your experience with me. Thanks very much.

nov ialiste
Textkit Neophyte

Post by nov ialiste »

Here's a brief summary of Lingua Latina grammar up to lesson 15:

Lesson Grammar

1 Singular, plural of nouns, declensions 1 and 2 (nominative only)
2 Masculine, feminine and neuter nouns (decl 1 and 2) (nominative only)
Nominative and genitive cases (decl 1 and 2)
3 Nominative and accusative (decl 1 and 2)
4 Vocative. Imperative and indicative of verbs.
5 Accusative and ablative (decl 1 and 2). Imperative and indicative plural of verbs.
6 Prepositions. Locative (decl 1 and 2). Active and passive verbs (3rd person present)
7 Dative (decl 1 and 2).
8 Pronouns: quis, qui, is, ille, hic – all cases
9 All cases of 1st and 2nd declension nouns and pastor (3rd declension)
10 Infinitive, active and passive. 3rd declension: leo, homo, vox and pes.
11 3rd declension neuters: corpus, flumen, mare, animal. Infinitive and accusative.
12 4th declension: exercitus. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd declension adjectives.
Comparative of adjectives.
13 5th declension: dies. Superlative of adjectives.
14 Present participle.
15 Full present tense of conjugations 1, 2, 3 and 4.

I think you should go for it. If you went up to chapter 20 of D'Ooge you've covered much of that grammar. I'm sure you can catch up.

Lingua Latina is really good!

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

I find that reading through the beginning chapters of LL is pretty easy if you already have some background grammar. Definitely give it a shot.

anantah
Textkit Neophyte

Post by anantah »

Thank you, nov ialiste and thesaurus, for your encouragement. The summary of grammar is especially useful to me. I think I'm now more self-confident. Well, I will do my best. And now, hard work, hard work. :D

nov ialiste
Textkit Neophyte

Post by nov ialiste »

This link has vocabulary flash cards for book 1 of Lingua Latina, in case you're interested:
http://www.leakyroofproductions.com/Dat ... tents.html

I studied most of D'Ooge (up to lesson 62) but decided that I needed lots of reading practice to consolidate all the forms in my memory. So, I purchased Lingua Latina book 1 (Familia Romana) and the vocab book and the grammar book (the supplier didn't have the exercise book).

The main book has 3 exercises per chapter anyway, which is enough for me. I'm only up to chapter 8 so far. This is exactly what I want: lots and lots of carefully graded reading material. Even from the beginning the stories are quite entertaining as well.

If you have questions, there are always people here happy to help. So have fun!

anantah
Textkit Neophyte

Post by anantah »

Thank you Nov Ialiste. I went to the class, and found it interesting. The texts in ch. 15/16 are a little difficult for me but the difficulty is mostly due to my poor vocabulary. So your link to the flash cards is especially helpful!

So I decide to go along...Thank you again. It's really nice to have you all here in this forum.

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by anphph »

anantah wrote:Thank you Nov Ialiste. I went to the class, and found it interesting. The texts in ch. 15/16 are a little difficult for me but the difficulty is mostly due to my poor vocabulary. So your link to the flash cards is especially helpful!

So I decide to go along...Thank you again. It's really nice to have you all here in this forum.
I recomend that you read and re-read the chapters that preced those to acquire the vocabulary rather than depending on the flashcards. It isn't that hard, and it allows you to follow the method in its supposed purest form, that is partaking in the language with little contagion from your own translations. Words should recall contexts, images or narratives... not a corresponding word in your language.

anantah
Textkit Neophyte

Post by anantah »

Thanks to Miguel, too. I just think it would be more useful to combine the two methods. The Lingua Latina per se illustrata method is composed in the intuitive way, so your suggestion is surely more close to the author's intention. But I don't think this will exclude the use of some of the "mechanical" methods, as they can be interesting complements to reading and re-reading. Moreover it's though different approaches that we get gradually a "full-edged" mastering of something, isn't it?

nov ialiste
Textkit Neophyte

Post by nov ialiste »

anantah wrote: Moreover it's though different approaches that we get gradually a "full-edged" mastering of something, isn't it?
I also find a mixture of approaches helps me. If you can find the time, to read through the earlier chapters at least once is, I think, important. The texts build up vocab little by little and involve plenty of repetition of vocab and variation of forms, which consolidates both the vocab and grammar.

Repetition is the main way through which a language is learnt thoroughly, and repetition in the context of meaningful sentences helps vocab and grammar at the same time. At present I need lots of reading to thoroughly consolidate what I've already done.

Let us know how you get along. You're now ahead of me in the book! :)

anantah
Textkit Neophyte

Post by anantah »

Salve N.I.

Well I have worked hard these days to catch up with others. The result is not bad. I have covered the first ten chapters while working on lessons 16, 17...with the class. It's not so difficult as I first thought of, and reading the previous lessons is really helpful in building up the vocabulary.

The textbook is really nice. And I'm planning to go with D'Ooge after working though my missed lessons. I think I need some more information on grammar and English-to-Latin exercises.

nov ialiste
Textkit Neophyte

Post by nov ialiste »

Duplicate, sorry.
Last edited by nov ialiste on Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

nov ialiste
Textkit Neophyte

Post by nov ialiste »

Triplicate! sorry.
Last edited by nov ialiste on Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

nov ialiste
Textkit Neophyte

Post by nov ialiste »

anantah wrote:Salve N.I.

Well I have worked hard these days to catch up with others. The result is not bad. I have covered the first ten chapters while working on lessons 16, 17...with the class. It's not so difficult as I first thought of, and reading the previous lessons is really helpful in building up the vocabulary.

The textbook is really nice. And I'm planning to go with D'Ooge after working though my missed lessons. I think I need some more information on grammar and English-to-Latin exercises.
Nice to hear that you are managing okay. It was going to be a big task to catch up to chapter 15!

I guess you have access to the summary book "Grammatica Latina". But as supporting material for explanations, D'Ooge is a good learners' book.

You can always ask questions here. I'm only a relative beginner myself, but there are real experts here.

If you are having difficulty at the level of a certain chapter, I recommend that you read the earlier chapters. It really does build your language knowledge, sometimes without your noticing!

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lucus Eques »

Definitely take that wonderful course! Catch up! it'll be worth it for sure.
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

anantah
Textkit Neophyte

Post by anantah »

Thanks for your encouragement. I have worked though 2 more lessons that I missed these days, and I'm glad that in 10 days there will be the two-week-long Easter holidays so I can have enough time to go over again all the lessons in order to get more familiar with the grammar and vocabula covered in a hurry, and to pick out the difficult points.

latinloverfolife
Textkit Neophyte

Post by latinloverfolife »

Memorize the book. LINGUA LATINA ROX MY SOX! its so easy.

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by anphph »

Can someone please cease this senseless spamming?