By teaching (or preparing to teach), you learn more.

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

By teaching (or preparing to teach), you learn more.

Post by mingshey »

Winter Vacation, I'm preparing for a club activity for the new school year. Guess what.

I, though my own Greek is far from fluency, am going to lead a Greek club for students. Once in a fortnight. It should give me an excuse for having my Greek time at the school. :wink:

Having had the library buy some Greek textbooks, like "Athenaze," "Greek, an Intensive Course," "Homeric Greek,"(by Pharr), κτλ., I examined which to use as the textbook. I took my old Chase and Phillips. It contains hundreds of real, precious gnomic Greek texts as the exercise.

First I thought I should let the students(if there's any) to buy the textbook. But then again, one of the reasons I failed to follow the book thoroughly was that the grammatical details were in English. Though I could read it if I tried, you know it doesn't catch my eyes easily when you read from a foreign language. So I started off translating it into Korean, for my potential students, although this is a foreign language high school and the students are all expected to have some command of English, could have similar barrier.

And the effect is, for the first time I have read the book thoroughly, and at the same time, as the preparation for the lecture, I have interpreted up to 80 per cent (and counting) of all the exercises successfully.

The whole process of preparing to teach what I didn't master helped me master it. So, although the chance is scarce that many students apply for the Greek club, this job is a great propulsion of my Greek study. :D

GlottalGreekGeek
Textkit Zealot

Post by GlottalGreekGeek »

There's a saying which goes something like "You don't know it until you teach it."

adilsonlc
Textkit Neophyte

Post by adilsonlc »

mingshey,

There's a say here in Brazil that says:

"O que você guarda, você perde, mas o que você dá, você guarda."

In English it is something like:

"What you keep, you lose, but what you give, you do keep."

By reading your post you have motivated me to try doing the same thing.

There is a Catholic Church next block, and I will see if there are some people that want to start learning Latin. As Benedictus XIV is trying to reintroduce Latin in the church, maybe Latin can be fashionable again.

Thanks for the motivation and good luck at your propósito.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

adilsonlc wrote:mingshey,

There's a say here in Brazil that says:

"O que você guarda, você perde, mas o que você dá, você guarda."

In English it is something like:

"What you keep, you lose, but what you give, you do keep."
That's what's practically being shown over time.
By reading your post you have motivated me to try doing the same thing.

There is a Catholic Church next block, and I will see if there are some people that want to start learning Latin. As Benedictus XIV is trying to reintroduce Latin in the church, maybe Latin can be fashionable again.

Thanks for the motivation and good luck at your propósito.
Thanks and good luck for yours, too! :wink:

Bedell
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bedell »

Good luck with that, adilsonic!

If you meet with either hostility or apathy, try not to be put off; think out a number of strategies. Maybe see what the lads in Campos are doing and whether they are having any magnetic effect on attenders of the Ordinary Use of the Roman Rite.

Bedell
nothing should arouse more suspicion than a cross-party consensus - Antidemocritus fl. 2010

adilsonlc
Textkit Neophyte

Post by adilsonlc »

Bedell wrote:If you meet with either hostility or apathy
I've got very surprised by the acceptance of my small project.

It seems that there are many people interested in the learning of latin. I almost took the priest out of bed, as I went there on 7 o'clock in the morning.

At first he was very courious about why someone go to the church so early on a raining day. When I asked him for a small help (a place for the meetings and announcing the group during the masses) he got very interested.

Let's see what happens...

Bedell
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bedell »

Fantastic!

Will add your project to the prayer intentions list. I'm almost convinced that things are beginning to change for the better at grass roots level. Mind you, Brazil isn't my usual anglophonic turf; maybe things always were better over your way.

Best wishes,

Bedell.
nothing should arouse more suspicion than a cross-party consensus - Antidemocritus fl. 2010

danica
Textkit Neophyte

Post by danica »

That's true. In subjects of learning grammar, if one teaches it, one learns a lot more, than just reading the guidelines thereof.

I've found this true in my own life. I'm preparing to qualify as an English teacher, and going through my last 1/2 of school, I've found that my understanding of the English language (grammar-wise) has improved 100%, hence my teaching it to others! :wink:

I plan on majoring in Latin and Greek, as well. But one at a time - right guys? :shock:

God's speed on your teachings of Greek, friend! Are you planning on going into the teaching field full time? It's a great career choice.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Started teaching Greek

Post by mingshey »

I have started teaching Greek since a fortnight ago. I have three students. The class is held every first, third, and fifth(if ever) Saturday each month, as a Club Activity, two hours each time. Today I gave my second lesson and we have gone through the first three chapters.

I had expected some 1st graders so that I could continue the class into Pharr next year. But there are only 2nd graders. I have three 3rd graders on the list but they are ghost members; They are busy preparing for entrance exams and cannot afford CA.

Preparing for the class I'm doing myself the exercises, especially the composition part. This way I can do my exercise officially on my working hours. :D