Textkit Logo

Old English recordings

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Moderators: thesaurus, Jeff Tirey

Old English recordings

Postby quendidil » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:00 am

Does anyone know of any good Old English/Anglo-Saxon recordings available? I actually had a good one about 400mb in mp4 format downloaded from bittorrent, but it has sadly perished in one of my formats. The tracker where I got it from (demonoid) is down and the file seems to be unavailable on any other site.
quendidil
Textkit Member

Re: Old English recordings

Postby modus.irrealis » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:13 am

There's Anglo-Saxon Aloud, which you might want to take a look at.
modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Postby quendidil » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:22 am

Ooh, thanks!
BTW, are there any resources available for spoken "living" Anglo-Saxon?
quendidil
Textkit Member

Postby thesaurus » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:37 am

quendidil wrote:Ooh, thanks!

What exactly to you mean, people who converse in Anglo-Saxon? I'd be very surprised if that existed, considering AS slowly morphed through a variety of other forms of English. I don't think it had as 'finalized' a form as Latin.
thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Postby quendidil » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:09 am

thesaurus wrote:
quendidil wrote:Ooh, thanks!

What exactly to you mean, people who converse in Anglo-Saxon? I'd be very surprised if that existed, considering AS slowly morphed through a variety of other forms of English. I don't think it had as 'finalized' a form as Latin.

I remember seeing a list of computer terms in Anglo-Saxon years ago, so I think a movement towards spoken Anglo-Saxon still exists? or not
quendidil
Textkit Member

Postby modus.irrealis » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:26 am

For vocabulary, there's Hu secge ic from seo freo wisdomboc, but I don't know how trustworthy that is ... well I'm not sure trustworthiness really applies here, but I mean I'm not sure how much of this is being made up as they go and how much is serious. There might be something there, though.
modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Postby Kyneto Valesio » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:42 pm

Kyneto Valesio
Textkit Fan

Postby Voxforascausa » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:59 am

I looked around the net and couldn't find much to indicate that anyone anywhere still speaks or tries to speak anglo-saxon. I did find this spoof however

There are still students learning it, hence the Old English Wikipedia just getting out into the 1000 page range. I considered learning it, but instead attempted Gothic.

There is also primer in the Germanic lexicon project. You can get it images only, but I also assembled all of them into a large PDF, though my site where I used to host it is now defunct and I don't have any intention of bringing it back.
phpbb
Voxforascausa
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Open Board