Soggipussicus

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
phil
Textkit Fan

Soggipussicus

Post by phil »

Two nights ago I found a drenched cat sheltering beside my garage. I've decided to call him soggipussicus. This has the advantage that if I find out that he is a she, I can call her soggipussica!<br /> ;D<br />Phil

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Re:Soggipussicus

Post by mingshey »

What's the color of the cat? If it has three colors(e.g. white, brown, and black) it's definitely she. Otherwise you'll have to check.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

You should probably check anyways.
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I didn't know color could tell you if it was a he or a she. <br /><br />That's a neat name, Phil! I like it! <br /><br />Keesa

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=mingshey link=board=6;threadid=655;start=0#6186 date=1063776175]<br />What's the color of the cat? If it has three colors(e.g. white, brown, and black) it's definitely she. Otherwise you'll have to check.<br />[/quote]<br />Surely you're pulling our leg here... :o

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

No it's ture. Because all female creatures have cells in their body, which used different cromosoms. So one spot of skin may use the fathers another will use the mothers. And it just so happens that with cats you can then see which bits of skin are which type of cell, as it influences their hair colour. In humans it doesn't, though there are some women that only sweat in spots, while others remain dry, as they have no sweat glands.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Yes. It happens because cat's coloring gene is placed on the X-chromosome, which female has a pair of, from each of their parents. During the early stage of the development of the body one of the pair is activated, and the selection is made by chance. That's why females are phenotype mosaics, except when all the genes on the pair of X-chromosomes make the same phenotypes.<br />

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Someone told me that all red cats are toms.<br />In that case, our tom-cat had kittens.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

You can't tell if a single-color or tabby cat is tom or she. Only tortoiseshell being she is sure. Red(or any) color on X-chromosome can be inherited to male, too.<br />But if you see a green cat, it would be a Cheshire. (this IS a joke. ;D)

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

My coworker just told me that all white cats with two different eye colors are deaf.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

A good mouthful of the cat genetics here:<br /><br />http://www.tenset.co.uk/catgen/catsofad ... color.html<br /><br />a quote from this site:<br />
Since a male has only one orange-making gene, there cannot be a male tortie. An exception to this rule is the hermaphrodite, which has an XXY genetic structure. Such a cat can be tortie, since it has two X chromosomes, but is almost invariably sterile. In fact, despite the presence of male genitalia, a hermaphrodite is also an underdeveloped female, and may have both ovaries and testes, with neither fully functional
<br />You can find the account of the eye colors here, too.<br />

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Catskit?

Post by mingshey »

Original article reproduced on the site above can be found at Breton Creek Cat Articles for filailou/raij, with other interesting articles about cats.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I suppose my own experience with cats bears that out...we have a sweet little tortiseshell, a Tennessee Coon, and she's a female. We've also had (at different times) two pale orange and white striped male cats and a black/brown female. And a gray male...and...that's getting a little far back in my memory. I think it was a white and brown female. <br /><br />I've never come across a male tortiseshell, but I'd never thought that there might be any particular reason.

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil »

Well, he's been to the vet for a checkup, and he's a soggipussica! On Wednesday she's going back to become a soggipusicum, in order that not she might become a soggipussicae!<br /><br />And for the record, she's just black, with a white nose and socks.<br /><br />Cheers<br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Oh why must society castrate everything!
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Because it's spay a cat or drown a kitten. <br /><br />Personally, I prefer the former.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

What does the cat prefer? o_O

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil »

You mean if i don't get her spayed I get to drown kittens? Hmm I might just have to think about that..... ;)

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

Phil Posted on: Today at 07:58:01pm <br />You mean if i don't get her spayed I get to drown kittens? Hmm I might just have to think about that..... <br /><br /><br />'I get to drown kittens'....I am slightly concerned here.... :(

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

[quote author=MDS link=board=6;threadid=655;start=15#6413 date=1064190977]<br /><br />'I get to drown kittens'....I am slightly concerned here.... :(<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Miew!!!

Puella Parva
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Puella Parva »

[quote author=Phil link=board=6;threadid=655;start=15#6412 date=1064188681]<br /> I get to drown kittens? <br />[/quote]<br />Meanie!

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

[quote author=benissimus link=board=6;threadid=655;start=15#6409 date=1064187571]<br />What does the cat prefer? o_O<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I think any mother would prefer never to be a mother than to have their babies taken away.

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Actually, I'm more concerned for the male cats.

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

I have no opinions on the males.

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

obviously a male cat would prefer to keep all his parts and spread his seed willy-nilly throughout the neighbourhood. <br /><br />but he doesn't get to choose. that's one of the benefits (for us) of being at the top of the food chain and the top of the evolutionary chain. ;)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

benissimus
Global Moderator

Post by benissimus »

Well, a vasectomy is a simpler procedure than whatever they call the procedure for sterilizing females. I don't see why they have to amputate cats and permanent cripple their natural physical development just because it's easier than a little internal surgery.<br /><br />This is one of my pet peeves, but I really do think I'm right. >:(

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I think it's because males *spray* even when they are not procreating... perhaps a vastectomy wouldn't solve that? I know it's the spraying that always prompts my mother to fix the males.... since they tend to do it in the house too.<br /><br />anyhoo, congrats on your new kitty, phil! I expect pictures.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

phil
Textkit Fan

Post by phil »

Don't have the ability to post pictures, sorry - just imagine a cat, and you won't be far wrong. And I'm sorry if I've upset anyone with my comment about drowning kittens - that's the last thing I would do. I love cats (but I couldn't eat a whole one) :-X

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

:P<br /><br />I don't think you've upset anyone (not me, anyway) since your comment was too obviously teasing to be taken seriously. ;)

Puella Parva
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Puella Parva »

Oh, yes, I think we all knew you were just teasing...but I couldn't help a small outburst-I love cats, and some people are mean to them-NOT, that I'm saying that you are. Anyway, I forgive you for your cruel remarks against our feline companions ;)

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

Oh yes Phil, definately knew you were joking on that one. Enjoy your new cat!

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />I was just thinking ... how would you say "soggy cat" in Latin? I couldn't find the Latin word for "soggy" so I used the Latin word for "wet" instead ... and came up with feles uvida<br /><br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Hmmm...I think I like Soggipussica better! ;D <br /><br />So how is she doing, Phil? Has she settled in well?