Question on Declension of γη ('earth')

Are you learning Koine Greek, the Greek of the New Testament and most other post-classical Greek texts? Whatever your level, use this forum to discuss all things Koine, Biblical or otherwise, including grammar, textbook talk, difficult passages, and more.
Prometheus
Textkit Neophyte

Question on Declension of γη ('earth')

Post by Prometheus »

I'm a near-beginner in all sorts of ancient Greek (self-taught), and I've been trying to identify the use of cases in this passage of Genesis. Could someone please correct my guesses and/or comment on why such-and-such a case is used? (Things like the "genitive of separation" are particularly puzzling to me.) Thanks!

1 Και συνετελέσθησαν ο ου?ανος και η γη (NOMINATIVE SING.) και πας ο κόσμος αυτων....
4 Αυτη ή βίβλος γενέσεως ου?ανου και γης (GENITIVE SING.), oτε εγένετο, η ημέ?α εποίησεν ο θεος τον ου?ανον και την γην (ACCUSATIVE SING.)...
5 και παν χλω?ον αγ?ου π?ο του γενέσθαι επι της γης (DATIVE SING.?) και παντα χό?τον αγ?ου π?ο του ανατειλαι ου γα? εβ?εξεν ο θεος επι την γην (ACCUSATIVE SING.?), και άνθ?ωπος ουκ ην ε?γάζεσθαι την γην (ACCUSATIVE SING.).
6 πηγη δε ανέβαινεν εκ της γης (GENITIVE SING.?) και επότιζεν παν το π?όσωπον της γης (GENITIVE SING.).
7 και επλασεν ο θεος τον άνθ?ωπον χουν απο της γης (GENITIVE SING.?) και ενεφ?σησεν εις το π?όσωπον αυτου πνοην ζωης, και εγένετο ο άνθ?ωπος εις ψυχην ζωσαν.

(The text is from the second chapter of Genesis according to the Septuagint text on http://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/physis/s ... esis/2.asp. I posted this last month on the little-used Ancient Greek tutorial site http://www.kypros.org/LearnGreek/course/view.php?id=11 but didn't get any replies.)

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Question on Declension of γη ('earth')

Post by modus.irrealis »

Bombichka
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bombichka »

Prometheus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Prometheus »

Thanks for your help! That clears a lot of things up. (Compared to Sanskrit, which I'm more familiar with, it looks like the Genitive must have taken over the job of the missing Locative and Ablative cases.)

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Post by modus.irrealis »

Bombichka
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bombichka »

modus.irrealis wrote:I'm probably wrong then about the frequency of the two cases, but the gen. was used in Attic Greek for place. There are a number of examples in Liddell & Scott.
yes, you're right, there are some instances of epi + gen. for place listed in the LSJ, most of them taken from Xenophon.

but I think epi + dat. was a far more common way for expressing location in Attic.