Iliad:54

Are you reading Homeric Greek? Whether you are a total beginner or an advanced Homerist, here you can meet kindred spirits. Besides Homer, use this board for all things early Greek poetry.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

Iliad:54

Post by Bert »

[size=150]τῇ δεκάτῃ δ’ ἀγορήνδε καλέσσατο λαὸν )αχιλλεύς<br />In the footnotes it says that [size=150]καλέσσατο is causative.<br />In section 1069 of Pharr it says concerning verbs with a causative sense;... the subject causes something to be done by another.<br />I don't see how the verb in question fits this description.<br />Achilles is doing the summoning. (Unless he is a commander and has someone doing the calling for him, but that can't be deduced from the context thus far).<br />Or does causative means that his summoning causes the Greeks to gather together.<br />Can some-one shed some light here please?<br />Thanks<br />Bert.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re:Iliad:54

Post by annis »

Oi.<br /><br />I think Pharr got a little zealous in commenting. I agree with you. I can find no reason to specify this as causative.<br /><br />My Kirk commentary has nothing to say about this line, either.<br />
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Hi Bert,<br /><br />In the middle voice [size=150]καλέσσατο means to summon to oneself.<br /><br />And, as you say, it is causative because the goal of its verbal activity is the λαόν. Hence the accusative.<br /><br />Cordially,<br /><br />Paul
Last edited by Paul on Sat Oct 18, 2003 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Skylax »

Usually, the call is made by heralds, [size=150]κήρυκες. Agamemon's heralds are Talthybios and Eurybates.